Leaning towards the Corsair H70. Is that the best overall option?

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I would like to spend $100.00 or less for a cooling solution for an i7 950. I am using an EVGA SLI X58 mobo, Antec 902 case and 2 MSI Cyclone 460GTX 1gb in SLI. I plan on overclocking but not to the extreme. If I can get to high 3s or 4.0 I will be happy. I had a Thermaltake V1 hanging around so I installed that first. There most be something wrong with it because I was hitting 99c causing bsod when running P95. I removed and reinstalled it three times but nothing helped. I then installed the stock Intel heatsink and the temps haven't gone over 75c while running 8 threads of P95 and furmark at the same time. Of course this is at stock speeds.

I would like to overclock so I am now looking for the best option for @100 bucks. I have a Kingston fan kit installed over my 3x2gb ram. I would like to have a cpu cooler that allowed me to still use it. Most of the most common extremely large heatsink won't allow that. I know the ram fan probably doesn't do much since ram tends to run cool but it looks good and it certainly can't hurt.

I've read many reviews and besides the fans being loud at full speed the H70 appears to be a great choice. I will probably run them with the resistors installed to help with the noise issue.

If there is a better solution than the H70 and it requires me not using the ram fan kit then I will consider it.

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I am leaning towards the H70 for sure. I hate to pay that much for a cpu cooler but then again I don't want to buy something too cheap and wish I had stepped up the first time.

I was considering this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=hyper%20212%20plus but I don't think it is enough to cool an I7 950 overclocked. So then I started looking at the $60.00 heatsinks, which most don't come with fans. Add two HQ fans and it quickly hits $90.00. For a few bucks more I can get the H70 which appears to beat almost every air cooler there is except maybe a few and it comes with two decent fans. Plus it has a much smaller footprint around the cpu socket.

I would love to have a full blown water cooling setup but I am not prepared to spend that kind of money. The H70 appears to be the best currently available inbetween there is.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
The Hyper 212+ is a great budget cooler and you can OC with it, but you will get much better results with the H70 when it come to temps, and you will probably be able to push frequency and voltage a little more for that reason.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^Not a bad way to start vs. some of the other options, but the rs240 radiator used has been around a while, but still should be OK for the average beginner. The pump on that kit moves a decent amount of coolant; 750l/hr.

You can get a really good config if you look around and find what you want by piecing together the pump, blocks, rads and res (if you want one) from various places. This is where knowing what you are looking at comes in handy as knowledge vs. having complete strangers tell you what to buy on a forum.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I have never heard of XSPC until now and from the research I have done since delluser1 posted I am very impressed with all of their products. I might just upgrade to that kit from my Megahalems! Check out their site, they have links to reviews for just about every product they have.
http://www.xspc.biz/

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
That XSPC kit sure does look like a good deal for a complete WC kit. I am still nervous about getting involved with a full blown water cooling setup. I like the simplicity of the H70 and it all installs inside the case. I have to assume the XSPC radiator, pump and reservoir are all mounted outside of the case.

I searched for some pictures of it installed but I couldn't find any.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
You should have enough room in your case to place the reservoir/pump in the bottom of your case but the radiator will have to be mounted externally. XSPC will also be upgradeable

The H70 is still a great choice, it is convenient, compact and performs great, in the end it is up to you. [:bohleyk:1]

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
@beekermartin-

With a more conventional WC solution, the installation is up to you...that is why it is so appealing to most. There is always a DIY factor once you start getting into this realm, which is the biggest draw for most of us with water loops.

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008

I wish there was better pictures than that. I am curious how the hoses connect to the reservoir/pump how the radiator and fans mount to the case, how the internal case fans still work with the radiator attached to the back, etc.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
@beekermartin-

There should be barbs/fittings that the tubing will connect to on each, with an in/out where applicable, such as your pump. As for the radiator and fans, typically the fans are mounted on the radiator with screws and you either offset the radiator against your case with say, a Radbox (Swiftech makes these, but I believe there are also other brands) or some use the fans as sort of the offset. Both of these assume you would mount on the back or top of your case in the usual 120mm fan locations. However, many, many WC'ers have gone the route of installing their rads in other locations using some basic case modding.

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I figured that. Thanks rubix.

I still would love to see some better pictures. It sounds like I couldn't mount it to the 120mm fan location of my 902 case because I only have one rear 120mm fan. The 1200 case in the pictures has two 120mm rear fans.

The more I think about this the more I am leaning towards the Coolermaster 212 plus. I think that will be good enough for the overclock I am planning on. It appears that a full blown water cooling setup will average about 5-10c cooler than the h70. The h70 will average about 10c cooler than the 212 plus. So if the the 212 can keep the temps in the 70s while overclocking then that should be cool enough for an i7 950.

If I was planning on trying to hit over 4ghz then it appears WC is the way to go. Maybe I will go that route in the future. I've already spent a few hundred more than I wanted to on this build. I don't want to spend too much more if I don't really have to.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

The hyper 212+ is a great choice. You will have good OC ability and it wont break your budget. That way you can save and piece together a good WC kit yourself. [:bohleyk:1]

^ Double negative (and no, it isn't positive). DO NOT get the CoolIt when you can get that XSPS kit for a little more than the H70. Well worth it imo. OR you can spend a bit more and get the Swiftech kit. The CPU block and pump in that kit are pretty much near the top of the line. The rad can be upgraded if needed. The MCP655 is the default pump many use. The XT is only beaten by the EK Supreme HF.

Swiftech H20-22-Ultima XT kit: http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-H20-22-Ultima-XT-Liquid-Cooling-Kit-pr-4324.html
$240

XSPC kit for $120 (out of stock atm): http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-Rasa-750-RS240-CPU-watercooling-kit-pr-4753.html

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I ordered the Cooler Master 212 Plus. It was only $28.00 on Amazon with free Prime shipping. I figured it was worth a shot at that price. If I want to overclock further than the Cooler Master 212 will allow I will probably get the XSPC kit. That appears to be the best real water cooling kit for the money.