k4zn4

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Hi everyone, as in thread title, I have a problem with new i7 system.. The components I chose are:

Asus P6T deluxe
core i7 920
3 x 2gb OCZ gold 1600 8-8-8-1.65v
xfx gtx 285
wd640gb AAKS
chieftec aps-850c
CM V8 cooler
CM HAF 932 case

I am using vista x64, have updated the drivers to latest, I didn't OC anything. System is stable in windows, I tested it all night with prime95 and memtest. The problem is: on start of ANY game, right after the usual "who made the game" presentation pases and when I get to "start screen" of the game, the computer crashes and restarts. This happens literally every time, I tried GTA IV, PES 2009, and Far Cry 2 which comes with the graphic card..

Anyone has any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks!

I would have to say the problem lies with that POS Chieftec PSU. The PSU can supply enough power when the GPU is in 2D mode (normal computing stuff), but can't supply enough clean power when the GPU goes into 3D mode. I couldn't find your exact model on newegg, but if it's anything like this one you might want to try different PCI-E power plugs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817202009&Tpk=chieftec%20850

That PSU has 4 12v rails two of the rails only have 18A each. The other two rails have 30A each.

Your best bet is to ditch the Chieftec PSU ASAP and get a real PSU from a quality manufacturer like PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, or Seasonic. You risk frying your fancy new rig when that PSU decides to blow up.

Wow, that PSU has a single review at Newegg and even that one was dead on arrival.

Yeah, I'd return the PSU and try with a different model. A PC P&C 750W or a Corsair 750TX should be enough for a GTX 285 card. Get an 850TX if you're planning to add a second GTX 285 later.

Is there a blue screen with white letters flashing there during the restart? If yes, you can configure Windows to stop at the blue screen so you can read it. It may give some you some useful info. (OK, normally it's not very useful, but there are exceptions.)

k4zn4

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Heh, my problem was that where I live its very hard to find good components, this PSU was kinda best choice. Still chieftec PSU worked really well for few friends of mine in last couple years, so I thought its a safe choice..

I will test with OCZ tomorrow in any case..

there is no BSOD, just plain restart

k4zn4

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
It seems like it might be PSU after all..

Today we tried to put another GPU (4830), everything was fine. Then tried gtx285 on another machine, worked with no problems at all. Then we tried to put another PSU on my system, and everything worked.. We will do more tests on PSU during the day, and hopefully this evening be certain about what is wrong.

Will let you know :)

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
not sure if psu means power supply or now, but i had the same issue on my computer a couple weeks ago, i upgraded my power supply from 600w to 850w and everything runs like a clock now.

vinceg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
thanks for confirming to a noob. appearently my new mother board , i7 and video was too much to handle for 600w. good luck

k4zn4

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Definitely it is the PSU, I don't really care if its faulty or just generally crap, I will return this one and just try harder and get a corsair this time..

Thanks everyone for your help :D

zao

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
hey,
i am having the same problem right now.

im rly desperated, cuz i cant play with my new toy.
in the store they assure me that ULTRA X3 was a good choice
it is a 1,000W PSU

my machine is
i7 920
xfx 285
asus rampage ii extreme
6GB OZ ram
WIN xp, vista in the way..
1TB HD
and the crappy ULTRA X3 1,000W PSU that is probably the real problem

i hope i found the problem with this forhum, cuz i am rly frustrated at this point, i just spent a lot of money and i cant play ANYTHING!

the only problem is that where i live there is not a single decent place where i can find a good PSU or any good computer components :( so i dont know how much time i will be like this! :mad: