Sign in with
Your question

Taking External HDD abroad

Last response: in Storage
September 20, 2010 2:23:51 PM

I am going abroad on a plane, and I am bringing my external harddisk with me. When bringing it abroad, is a special care required? For instance, when the plane takes off or landing, the whole plane will shake quite a lot. I am concerned whether my external HD will be damaged from this shaking.

The external will be put in its own product box, coming with thin plastic holders to hold both ends of the external.

My external is : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To sum it up, when taking an external abroad on a plane, is it necessary to do some sort of protection required?
a c 342 G Storage
September 20, 2010 4:19:51 PM

Same kind of protection one might give to a laptop - modest protection against mechanical bumps. The unit will NOT be operating when it is moved, so there won't be damage from modest impacts. If you are carrying it in carry-on bags you should not have a big problem. That is, unless airport security demands proof that the box really is a functioning external drive and not something nefarious. If you put it in checked baggage, I would suggest some padded packing just in case - baggage handlers can be a bit rough!

What are you doing to prepare for electrical power supply issues in other countries?
m
l
a b G Storage
September 20, 2010 5:59:47 PM

The little wall warts for my WD MyBooks run on 100 - 240 vAC.
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2010 5:18:39 AM

I bought this HDD in a country that uses 220v. My next stop is Hong Kong, which uses 110v (?), is it? In that case, can't I just buy a voltage step up?
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
September 21, 2010 1:56:53 PM

Don't guess. Read the instructions on your unit. For example, jsc has units that adapt themselves without extras.
m
l
!