Sign in with
Your question

Corsair Obsidian 800D and other thoughts

Last response: in Components
June 4, 2009 5:42:20 PM

Can't wait til July :pt1cable:  , i am looking forward to getting the new Corsair Obsidian 800D case to replace my Coolermaster RC-690. The Coolermaster RC-690 is a great case to start with, for a first build, will become my girlfriends case in July. Anyways going on, the 800D is going to be NICE!, separate chambers to try and thwart the heat issues that plague electronic components, hot-swap-ability, ALL BLACK, NO LEDS, basically a big black beast. The only thing i wish, is that it wasn't $299 or it came with the HX750 or HX850 which are backed by 7 year warranties (straight quality). I think this case is going to make other companies rethink how to build a quality case, but hopefully not bring the cost with them. I dislike companies that put :non:  LEDs on everything, it just shows how creative their R&D (research and development) staff is, they could spend an hour or two figuring out where to put an LED or two, instead of paying the staff to use better parts/components for longer lasting, better output, or a better quality end product, speaking mainly on psu and case manufactures. Corsair has done a Great Job when it comes to quality components, can't wait to see what the future holds for the Corsair Company.
June 6, 2009 4:05:00 PM

I'm also looking forward to owning one of these.

For us in the uk I have contacted Corsair UK and they are expecting to distribute by the end of the month. They did not give any pricing but I have heard talk of £200 - £250.

I have a xaser III by thermal take that I have had since 2003. Which apart from the CPU thermomitor ( originally for socket 7 style cpus) is still fully servicable. But when I saw the 800D pictured on thier website the other day I got that I have to have one feeling.

Things I like about it are:

The cable routing, nice rubber gromets to protect the cables
x3 120mm mounts on the top great for mouting radiators
The trapdoor at the back of the mobo tray so you can change heatsink without removing mobo. Maybe this can be modded to give cooling underneath the cpu ( a bit silly maybe but hey)
Im not a fan of bottom mounted PSU's but this case mounts them fan facing down and has a grill on the floor to let airflow in, The tray above also seperates the heat.
4 hotswapable sata bays 3.5
Its big and black ( the girls know what I'm talking about ;)  )
It looks great without going over the top on decoration and neon lights. It's a tidy bit of kit!

Things I don't like:

I can't buy one today!

Would be great if some of you US guys can post some pics/vids of yours when you get em. Like I said Uk wont get any till the end of the month at least.
Overclockers UK have told me today that they have no plans to stock this case as yet, would be good to know who will when the time comes

June 6, 2009 4:19:45 PM

Outside View:

Trapdoor for heatsink:

Side:

Sata Trays:

Related resources
June 6, 2009 6:26:04 PM

Same here, my next build hopefully should be in one of these.
June 7, 2009 6:46:31 PM

Nice pics, where did you get those?
June 8, 2009 11:49:21 AM

Yes they were linked from thier site. I'm very keen on getting my hands on one of these. I already have the money put aside I just need to find a shop that will sell it to me next month
June 8, 2009 3:12:36 PM

I got an email from Scan today looks like we can but it from there when the time comes

Hi,

We shall indeed be stocking this product and as soon as we get a confirmed price and availability date we shall add the case to the website.

Regards,

Carl Horan
Scan Computers
June 9, 2009 10:09:06 AM

Things i don't like about this 800D casing :fou: 

1) It has only 7 slots. I cant have enough slot for additional USB/eSATA bracket. I need also slot fan for the SAS controller at last slot. However this board reserves a space after the last 7th slot, which make it possible for 2-slot graphic card to be installed.

2) The top 3x fans are only 120mm. expandable to 140mm will be nice.

3) The front I/O design is good, but the opening mechanism is what i don't like.

4) Not much info for the casing even in corsair website. i.e. weight, photo, workmanship.

Apart from all the complaints above, this case is really nice. I am now looking for new case and after comparing Lian Li, Silverstone, Antec, Thermaltake and Coolermaster; this case is the one that suit most of my requirements. Most probably i will get this case.
June 9, 2009 5:56:58 PM

Well, I was searching for a new case for my new PC I plan to build by the end of the year.

I am really impress by the way you can hide your Power Supply cable, but since my last case is a Tsunami by Termaltake (great looking case but a pain in the ass to work with)... I think most of the case now are using this.

Anyone knows if the Cosmos can do the same? I don't plan on using water cooling so I think I would pass on the corsair case.
June 9, 2009 8:22:31 PM

iieeann said:
Things i don't like about this 800D casing :fou: 

1) It has only 7 slots. I cant have enough slot for additional USB/eSATA bracket. I need also slot fan for the SAS controller at last slot. However this board reserves a space after the last 7th slot, which make it possible for 2-slot graphic card to be installed.

2) The top 3x fans are only 120mm. expandable to 140mm will be nice.

3) The front I/O design is good, but the opening mechanism is what i don't like.

4) Not much info for the casing even in corsair website. i.e. weight, photo, workmanship.

Apart from all the complaints above, this case is really nice. I am now looking for new case and after comparing Lian Li, Silverstone, Antec, Thermaltake and Coolermaster; this case is the one that suit most of my requirements. Most probably i will get this case.

I think the 3 120mm at the top were so that people could fit upto a 3 fanned raidiator for water cooling most use 120mm fans as far as i know. With the heat from hard drives and the psu kept seperate it should be a bit cooler in genral. I think that the differance between 120mm and 140mm would be minimal hot air rises any way. For the sort of system i will build i probably wont bother adding any, if your tri sli ing it up and overclocking ect, 3x 120mm fans would still be fine no doubt. It will be a big improvement over my thermal take xaser iii i think most would agree. Mostly i want the cable manament and the look of a tidy well put together case.

Of course we are all differant In what we need and expect you are right about not enough info on thier website though they have admited that there are still some final alterations they need to make, the trapdoor at the back being in the right place was one of them
June 10, 2009 5:37:18 PM

I wish they would've engineered a more creative way to integrate the USB ports and reset button than wasting what could've been a sixth external bay. Only 5 total external bays (3.5 or 5.25) is not that impressive on a big full tower case like this one.

That aside, I like (ok, LOVE) what I see so far. Wish they would freaking post more pics of the inside, though!!!
June 11, 2009 9:34:28 AM

very sexy case, but its a watercooler case, there just isn't enough intakes to counter the negative pressure, unless of course you use the top exhaust ones as intake which will just push the rising warm air back down, but i like how they added a fan on the compartment separator, this will force more air into your graphic card, and hot swappable hdds with front access is also nice, but i think im going to go with the Thermaltake VI90001W2Z
July 13, 2009 9:22:52 PM

This new case really is a beauty, and they're retooling it based on a lot of our feedback, which is AWESOME.

But they took too long. I had to finish my current project, and I saw an offer I couldn't refuse for the ATCS 840 which will easily run a dual loop for my rig AND is made out of full aluminum, including the side panels.

I don't mind steel though. I'm not going to move around a water cooled rig. Who gives a rat's buttoot if it's heavy....
!