slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hey guys,

I built my system last year with the following configuration:

Motherboard ---Msi X48C

Processor---Intel E8400 (not overclocked)

Graphic card---Crossfire 4850--512mb ram

Hard Drive---WD Raptor 150Gb with Seagate 250gb

Monitor--- 22inch Dell

Ram--DDR3

My question is that i have been looking at the performance of the i7 processors from Intel, and i am thinking that should i switch on to that platform in the near future, or is my rig going to be good enough to Game at my monitors optimal resolution.

I am basically a RTS gamer with a few Racing and FPS games.

Do you guys think that my rig is going to be good enough to play games like Empire total War etc.

Also my PSU is a 640 watt Corsair .

Should i be happy that my system is powerful enough ? Should i convert to the new platform sometime in the future or its not worth it ? :??:

Thanks for the response :)

slashzapper

You can't have 3 HD 4850 cards on the MSI X48c, so that's really not an option.

You could replace the HD 4850 cards with HD 4890 cards when they're out, if they're really as good as promised. They're supposed to be 30% faster than HD 4870. We'll see. That would help a lot more IMO than a new quad CPU and a new MB, and might cost less.

I don't think an i7 would make a huge difference over an E8400 in games. It will, in FSX or GTA4, just because it's a quad and those games use all cores, but in general it won't be a huge improvement worth buying a $250 MB and a $300 CPU.

I suggest you start learning about overclocking and get a Xigmatek Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029
You can reuse it later for an LGA1366 (i7) build. In the meantime, it can help you overclock that E8400 to 3.6GHz or something like that.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Hey buddy thanks for the response. :)

Unlike 3 card sli i cant have, 3 cards in my system as they are ati.

You cant have 3 cards 4850 running in one system. :D

Hey i didnt read the review on crossfire 4830 beating 4850, somehow i am not inclined to go back a step.