How much difference does OCing actually make?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Now, I know this is bit of a vague and hard to answer question, but let me explain myself. First, I am talking about overclocking a cpu. Right now I run a dual core wolfdale E6500 at 2.93 ghz, which is stock speed for that. Right now I can afford to either get a new mobo that is capable of OCing from bios (I have a dell and cant do that atm) OR get myself a nice razar naga gaming mouse with all the buttons on the side. I can really only do one or the other. Back to my quesiton, if I were to OC my cpu, this would be my first OC attempt so I would not take it too far I think, would I see a noticeable performance difference or is it something people to do min/max their right and does not yield big benefits? The main game I play is WoW and from what I hear it is more CPU intensive then GPU. I just dont want to buy the mobo and expect more noticeable gains that I actually will get, because the mouse would be pretty handy, but with the new WoW expansion coming and some updated graphics in some aspects I want my comp to be able to run it as smooth as possible. Thanks.

Solution
Well you would need to tell us the rest of your specs as you videocard will most likely matter as they try to make wow look better. Yes the overclock will be very noticable but it is subjective programs will open much faster but not everything is sped up with faster some programs like more cores.. I have a q9400 2.66 and running it 3.8 I went back to 2.66 for testing one day and everything felt sluggish. Don't expect that kind of overclock but 3.8 to 4.0 shoult be accessible to you with a better CPU heatsink. It really is up to you on the choice 2.93 is not bad at all really.

T

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Well the video card I am running is a gtx 260. At most I was thinking about OCing to maybe 3.4 or 3.5, not sure and I would have to do some more research first.

Ok your video card is fine I have that one too. You will be fine with an overclock like that forever I have mine running at said 3.8 for 2 years on a 650 watt power supply no issues. It will make your computer feel a little bit snappier to say the least. You will notice it. but no one would be mad at you for getting the mouse either as 3ghz is not bad by itself. Hard choice I know.. If you are getting your mouse for precision don't do it most people I know get those gaming mice then turn the dpi down to stop the jumpyness. I read somewere most gamers settle in the 800 to 1000 dpi range unless they can change on the fly for sniping and such. If you are getting it for extra buttons then by all means go for it :p

T

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for your replies. In reply to thently I am getting the mouse mainly for the buttons on the side so that I have less awkward keyboard stretches while I am playing. The button just seem like they would be infinitely useful. And thanks Wolfram for reminding me that I should probably also get a heat sink upgrade when I do OC my cpu. When I first got my cpu to upgrade my stock one, I intstalled it with the heatsink that came with the cpu, and my comp would not stay on for more then 5 minutes and then would turn off, and I found out this was due to overheating, and I have to use the heatsink that came with my Dell to make it so it does not overheat. When it comes to heatsinks, I am pretty uneducated. Are there any that you would recommend for me? It would have to work with a socket 775 lga mobo. I dont know if heatsinks are like a universal fit and will fit all mobos or if I need certain ones depending on my mobo. BTW, this is the mobo that I am planning on getting I think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128380&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
if/when u decide to get that new mobo and OC that CPU, i would recommend a very cheap, quiet and great performing cooling solution, the CoolIT ECO ALC. im using it myself and i didnt think it was gonna perform so well but it did/does.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227006&Tpk=eco%20alc

PS: be SURE u do your "homework" and read everything u can find about it before starting with the OC on that CPU or u will end up killing it.

Cheers

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
^As nice as that cooler might be, I don't recommend it for you. That particular unit is designed to cool CPUs with tdps of upwards of 130W; your cpu stock is 65W, and you probably won't get it past 90W or so (depending on your OCing aggression). This traditional heatsink/fan is roughly half the price, and it is much better suited for your needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

The ACF7P is a pretty good cooler even by today's standards. I have one cooling an E6500 running at 3.66 GHz in a G'byte G41M-ES2L motherboard. In my case, performance is limited by the relatively low (340 - 350 MHz) maximum bus speed of the G41. With a P43 system, you should be able to do better.

Considering the lower cooling demand of the Wolfdale cores (compared to the quads), it should be all you will need.

Two of my other Core2 systems have these in them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008000%2050012151&IsNodeId=1&name=XIGMATEK
These are great if they fit in your case. The backing plate is well worth getting.

letterkilled

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
i actually just bought the cooler master 212+ and its actually pretty legit. tho i do advise you get a second fan for it as well. my temps are insane! idle is at 25c and at prime95 at full load it is at 57c. CPU running at 3.8ghz from a 2.8ghz i5-760. so it would do great fro you and its cheap and well made for cooling. my opinion would be the mobo and heatsink. just cuz i play a different kind of MMORPG thats alot like wow. and all the gaming mouses are so touchy...so the regular mouses always worked for me. tho i know WoW would sure like all those buttons. so really my friend....its up to you.

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Hi fcdwn777 ,,,
Does it make a difference ............huh !! It Make a great difference according to your stock CPU Specs its a Pentium Dual Core E6500 With 1066 Mhz FSB and 2MB L2 Cash............ its availible for around 90-110 Bucks........
Now i will mention my exapmle i myself have a Pentium Dual Core E5300 With Stock Settings of 2.6 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB and 2MB L2 Cash (Chache ) ............... Its stock performence is 10-20 % lower than yours but it changes the face when i overclock it to 3.43 Ghz (at 1066 FSB 266*13) and at that it brings The Core 2 Duo E8400 with stock settings of 3Ghz and 1333 Mhz FSB aND 6MB cash down to knees............ and at 4.04 Ghz (FSB 308 * 13) it even tops the fastest Dual Core ie Core 2 Duo E8600 which costs around 200 bucks here in India if you convert it to ruppes (200*50).......... but it may not seem safe with my stock cooler so i am quite happy at 3.43 Ghz....... @ C2D E8400's performance ............ that great for a 60 $ Procssor now you decide OC makes a differnce or not..........
BTW here are my specs not so premimun ............. but yet good for OC:

CPU: As i mentioned PentiumDual Core E5300
GPU:Nvidia Geforce GT240(DDR3 1GB)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800 Mhz (2*1Gb in dual channel)
Mobo:Gigabyte G41M-ES2L
Cooler : Intel's Stock, Tiny Bundled Heat Sink......
So think is it really making differnce ....... :sol:

Solution

TRENDING THREADS