Replacement for Dell XPS 420 Mobo

sunitpinto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hi,

My Dell XPS 420 mother board ditched me and refuses to boot. On contacting dell they placed an exorbitant rate for a replacement. I do not mind spending, but have lost faith in Dell and wonder if after buying the new motherboard from them would not land me in the same situation a year later.

Getting to the point

Any suggestions for an alternative motherboard that I could use for this system?

Current config
Q6600,2.4Ghz,8MB cache
256MB PCIe(TM) x16 NVIDIA GeForce(TM) 8600 GTS w/TV-Out and Dual DVI
Sound Blaster(R) X-Fi(R) XtremeMusic Sound Card
2GB (2X1GB) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz SDRAM Memory
Dell(TM) Xcelerator(TM) Media Accelerator with front AVIO ports
Dell(TM) PCIe(TM) Hybrid PAL/SECAM/DVB-T TV Tuner with Remote Control

Any suggestions for an alternative mother board for this config

The XPS 420 uses a BTX cabinet, which seems obsolete as I am unable to find an appropriate alternate mobo :(

Thank you all in advance for spending time in helping me out.

Cheers,
Sunit Pnto

leo246246

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
One thing to keep in mind is that the Dell pre-build cases are 'backwards'. Thus, the mobo fit on the left side of the case, rather than the right side (when viewing the case from the front) as per standard mobo bought off the shelf.

This way, Dell ensures that if you want to re-use the case, you will have to fit it with a Dell mobo, which in turn brings in more money to their pocket.

sunitpinto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks Mike and o1die for your suggestion.

Leo thanks for the information, Dell is a total rip off I regret buying this machine to begin with, but have to live by my wrongly made decision and try and somehow resurrect my machine, had spent quite a bit on it, but judging by Dell's quality, the mobo died off in just 1 and a half year. I am confused whether to go in for a dell replacement or go for an all together new motherboard (and cabinet if need be)

Cheers,
Sunit