OCZ Memory timings?

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I am using OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory. Does anyone know of some better timings than 5-5-5-15? I don't understand about timings yet and any thing you might know would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Those are very 'tight' timings, meaning that they are very low/fast.

Memory timings have to do with how many clock cycles it takes to do certain operations with the memory. Lower numbers are better, but don't get out of hand, as you will basically never tell the difference between timings in day-to-day computer usage.

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Those are very 'tight' timings, meaning that they are very low/fast.

Memory timings have to do with how many clock cycles it takes to do certain operations with the memory. Lower numbers are better, but don't get out of hand, as you will basically never tell the difference between timings in day-to-day computer usage.

Solution

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
The voltage, according to the mobo is pretty high. What I mean by that is as I adjust the voltage up, say 2.1 . The digits are purple and then I can make a jump to 2.3 volts and the digits turn RED! I have never restarted with the voltage in "red" as for I have no replacement RAM and I'm not prepared to take the risk yet. What do you guys think? Would upping the voltage in to the red have any ill effects? I know for sure the memory I got now is good for 2.1V. And Beyond??? Thanks ALL!

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I believe I have the same memory you do, and it has EPP profiles for 5-4-5-15 2T, at 2.0V I think. Just look at the different profiles in CPU-Z. (If you have 2 sets (8GB) you may need 2.1V to get that EPP, that's what I've had to do.) I would stick with a max or 2.1V, unless your aware of the risks and go for no more than 2.2V.

CabbageGT

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I have similar memory(2 sets of 2x1GB) And I cant seem to enable Sli Memory, every time I try It causes the Bios to stall and the nb gets very Hot.

I was looking for a thread like this because im just trying to see if I can alter the CL from JEDEC#3 to EPP#1, and why Im having no luck.

Cpu-z said im running 5.5.5.15.23.@1.8v but I was led to belive that I was going to get 4.4.4.15.1T.@2.0~2.1v then I learned that it was a Nvidia profile that "should be Active from word GO, but its not. and its refusing to work.

Anyway Ive just upped the voltage to 2.0v and manually put the latency in.... But there are extra options and timings and I have Addressing Mode 1clock/2clock instead of Command 1T/2T...is there any difference in that?

the result of me putting in CL4 was a delayed post, which I have to restart twice everytime, and then a "boot failure and reload old settings or F1 to continue"... but even though the Bios is set to use those timings, its still reporting and running CL5.5.5.15.23.

Motherboard is ASUS P5N32 Sli PREMIUM. Nforce590sli, Bios rev 0905 I think!

Befor I foget to mention. I had to remoive 2GB because 1 stick was faulty and im going to replace the whole set with better memory... Any sugestions on what I should Get?
And will my motherboard take EPP. It should?!?!

Thanks for any Help

Rgds...Joe

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

I see what your talking about. Right now I am running my timings at 6-6-6-18-2T. I have found that to be a lot more stable for some reason than what the manufacturer says, 4-4-4-15 1T @ 2.1V. My mobo won't let me change the command rate though I've read that SLi mobo's should. I don't know a whole lot about overclocking. I still like a mobo, like the ASUS P5Q that gives some assistance with oc'ing. Ratio's this and that, what ever. I like to just be able to push a little with the FSB/CPU freq. and let the board do the rest. That's just me though. You said, " I was led to belive that I was going to get 4.4.4.15.1T.@2.0~2.1v then I learned that it was a Nvidia profile that "should be Active from word GO, but its not. and its refusing to work." You should just be able to plug the RAM in and your board should detect the EPP and set it automatically. Also, if I had an SLi board I would prolly most certainly use an SLi certified memory. That is if I was planning on taking full advantage of of the SLi with the dual GPU's or triple GPU's. I don't know if you can benefit from or if SLi will even work with one video card so in that case it prolly wouldn't matter. But like I said if your gonna take full advantage of the SLi I'd stick with an SLi certified stick. Though I personally didn't find it to be any different when I did have an SLi board and if you can't take advantage of the manufacturers recommended settings then what's the point of having memory with settings you can't use. I prolly didn't help you at all but I just thought I put my 2 cents in.

CabbageGT

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Well. first thing I understand is that SLI MEMORY has no effect with multi GPUs. there is no conection. Its just a name for a feature that is included on SLI boards, the actuall feature is part of the memory module. Its a program that overclocks the memory and CPU for people who dont quite "get it". Apparently it enhances the system! basically just changes some of the settings behind ur back so that it runs quicker.

But I can just OC the system myself. I dont need the SLI memory to do it for me, But I still want the CL4 that I was Promised.

so what happens If you Oc the CPU manually, and enable SLI MEMORY: MAXCPU aswell, would it conflict?

I got the BIOS rev. wrong...Its actually 0901, Ive downloaded 1001 now, just having dificulty flashing.

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

While it is good to have a nice chipset like an nVidia SLI and SLI certified products what's the point if you can't use dual, triple, or quad GPU's on a HD monitor. That's me though. I'm no expert, not even close, it's all just trial and error for me. Though I have been much more successful an manually entering the settings.

My RAM work great at 5-4-4-15 2T @ 2.3V and that's going off what the CPU-Z states as EPP#1. Everything else freeze's me up, or BSOD. Under various settings I have ran Prime95 and always passes at every modified setting I use. I'd just OC the system manually. I'd get the CPU & FSB where you want it and then start tweaking and playing with the memory settings and prolly end up using the EPP#1 settings via CPU-z. That's how I would do it.

As far as BIOS up dates if you've got a mobo that's relatively new you shouldn't need a BIOS update. I haven't needed a BIOS update for my P5Q so far and shouldn't either. But my older Fatal1ty board required an update but that was only because of some incompatibility with the 45nm CPU's.