Memmory settings

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I'm working on overclocking my AMD Phenom II x4 940 black edition. Here are my specs
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H MB
Rocketfish heat pipe cooler Don't know the exact model
2 gigabyte Crucial PC2-6400 (2x1024)
The ram is 6-6-6-18
I'm boning up on OC'n and it's suggested to manually set the ram @ 2T. I've got all kinds of settings I can make in the bios. Here's a list
Memory clock multiplier
cas latency
ras to cas r/w delay
row precharge time
minimu ras active time
1T/2T command timing-I think this should be 2T to find max OC then can be adjusted
TwTr comand delay 1 2 3
write recovery time
precharge time
row cycle time
ras to ras delay
I think most of this is irrelevant to OC'n. I just need to set it at 2T but I'm not sure thus this thread.
I haven't done this in a while and I'm ashamed to say I haven't kept up. I'm doing a lot of reading. For now suggestions are welcome.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
You should set your timings at your RAMs speced timings.

Generally this is 2T for command. Though the BIOS automatically sets the latencies which is generally at 9-9-9-24. You can check your timings with CPUZ under the "Memory" tab.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

My timings are 6-6-6-18 as factory setting They are also 2T. I'm trying to get a better overclock. Since I can change the multiplier I can use a standard bus speed. But I've hit a wall at 3.6Ghz and I'm trying to get further. This processor should make 4Ghz easy at least for most people. I've not heard of any problems anyway. But it doesn't seem to matter how much juice I give it 3.7Ghz is not stable and anything higher won't even boot. I think the ram is an issue and since I have the ability to change so much, I thought it would be helpful. I think I'll change it to 3T and manually set everything else to specs. I'm just trying to squeeze a bit more out of it since my temps are still good.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Are you sure your cooler can handle those clocks?

I don't believe that 4GHz is "normal" for these CPUs, the 965 and 970s easily reach those clocks but I do not think the 940 likes it. Are you reading a guide? You should.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I don't have time right now to post links to numerous overclocks of this processor. It overclocks easily to 3.6Ghz with only a slight increase in voltage. I've run it 24/7 at that speed with no issues at all. On water cooling this cpu has been clocked higher than 4Ghz but I'm not expecting that. I'll take 3.8Ghz if that's the best it can do but I don't believe it is.