[Confused] Wireless Router

thoeng

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi All

Thanks for looking at my thread.

With my 3yo Netgear WGT-624 dead, i am in the market for new router. However my situation is a bit complicated for me to make decision.

my Network client is as : 1. Desktop PC with USB G wireless, 1 Mac laptop (bootcampped) with N wiresss, Squeezebox V2 (B wireless) and a home server (wired).

I was wandering if its actually worth it for me to get N router or i'd better off with G router (dd-wrt) e.g.: Buffalo WHR-G125 or WRT54GL. If N router can you recommend me a cheap worthy one ?

My concern:
1. Availability/Stability
2. Speed
3. Price
4. Range (not much since i am on 150msqr apartment)

Cheers and thanks for the response.

Ice-Tea

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
An 11n AP will give you the exact same performance for b/g clients as a b/g only AP and is supposed to give you more speed and more range for 11n clients. So, it's all down to how much you want to spend ;)

metallbizkit

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

I'm in a similar situation. My parents' G router needs to be replaced and for the most part all devices are G, yet some are N. From what I've seen it seems to be that any G devices would cause the N device(s) to drop to the G speed.

I'm a little confused on this one, so hopefully someone else can reply and clear this up. Previously, I've used a B device and G device on a G router. The B ran at 11mbps and G device at 54. I would have expected N to be the same with a router that is N, however I've read things that lead me otherwise.

Right now I'm debating whether or not to get them a G router or N. If an N router will run everything at G speeds because there are G devices then I don't see much of a point to get N.

TRENDING THREADS