Sign in with
Your question

Media Center PC HDD Controller

Last response: in Storage
September 21, 2010 12:56:44 AM

Hey everyone!

So, I'm in the process of specing out parts for a HTPC and I was hoping to get some pointers on what HDD controller I should buy. I'm planning on buying a Ceton InfiniTV tuner, a Core i7 processor, ASUS P6X58D motherboard (or any other good quality core i7 compatibile mobo), and 4 1.5 TB Seagate HDDs (set up in RAID5), but I know that most RAID controllers that are on motherboards aren't the best, so I started looking for dedicated ones. The Ceton tuner can record up to 4 HD shows at the same time, so I want to make sure that my HDDs will be up to the challenge. Also, I want to have the ability to expand my RAID 5 array, and most motherboard RAID controllers don't have that ability. So far, every RAID controller that I've found has either been way too expensive (I don't really want to spend more than $300 on a controller) or a software based controller. I read online that a lot of people seem to like Dell Perc 5/i controllers, but I also read that they can have a lot of compatibility issues with non-Dell systems.

Does anyone have any tips on where I can find a reasonably priced hardware RAID controller?? Any help/tips/advice woud be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
September 22, 2010 4:32:16 PM

/bump

Advice anyone?? Bueller?
November 15, 2010 10:28:46 PM

I do know that if you use the built in ICH10R, Intel Storage Matrix Manager has a help option in there that allows you to expand by adding in a disk and it will migrate the data correctly. Here is the excerpt for your judgment. You should be able to do what you want as I've read your description and it won't cost you an expensive RAID card.

Volume Capacity Expansion Options
The Intel Matrix Storage Console allows you to increase the capacity of existing RAID volumes using two methods:

1. Utilize 100% of available array space. This option is available only if a RAID0, RAID1, RAID5 and/or RAID10 volume is present and if space is available on the existing array.
2. Add one or more member hard drives. This option is available only if a RAID0 and/or RAID5 volume is present and if at least one non-RAID hard drive is available, connected to the system and matches the internal or external connection type of the existing member hard drives. You cannot add an external hard drive to a volume that includes internal member hard drives.

The options described above are mutually exclusive and the Modify RAID Volume Wizard restricts to a single selection. You will need to go through the volume modification process as many times as you need to complete a migration, including a RAID level migration. A volume capacity expansion does not require re-installation of the operating system.

UTILIZE 100% OF AVAILABLE ARRAY SPACE
Follow the steps below to increase the volume capacity by utilizing 100% of available array space:

1. Select 'Advanced Mode' from the 'View' menu.
2. Right-click on the RAID volume's name in the device pane and select 'Modify Volume'. The 'Modify RAID Volume Wizard' will launch.
3. Follow the instructions throughout the wizard. On the 'Modify Volume' dialog, select 'Volume Capacity Expansion' and 'Utilize 100% of available array space'. The volume migration will start as soon as the wizard is completed.

ADD ONE OR MORE MEMBER HARD DRIVES
Follow the steps below to increase the volume capacity by adding one or more member hard drives:

1. Select 'Advanced Mode' from the 'View' menu.
2. Right-click on the RAID volume's name in the device pane and select 'Modify Volume'. The 'Modify RAID Volume Wizard' will launch.
3. Follow the instructions throughout the wizard. From the 'Modify Volume' dialog, select 'Volume Capacity Expansion' and 'Add one or more member hard drives'. On the next dialog, select one or more available hard drives to add to the existing volume. If the system is encryption enabled, make sure the selected member hard drives have the same encryption state as the volume's. The volume migration will start as soon as the wizard is completed.

!