Temps for Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.8 GHz and dual 5750 @ 870/1300 MHz

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
So I have the following setup:

Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.8 GHz (1.428 V, No voltage change at all, let the motherboard change it)
Dual Sapphire 5750 Vapor-X @ 870/1300 MHz
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
4GB (2x 2 GB) G.Skill 1600 MHz Ripjaws @ 7-8-7-24 (1.65 V)
Cooler Master Vortex Plus
Assortment of 4 120mm fans, 2 on front, 2 on side
90mm exhaust fan

Running Prime95 and Furmark for 30 minutes, I am getting the following temps:

CPU @ 61 C
Motherboard @ 46 C
GPU 1 (Top) @ 86 C
GPU 2 (Bottom) @ 76 C

I'm not too worried about the CPU temp as I rarely will have it under full load, I doubt I'll ever have it at 75% load. It's the graphics card temperatures I'm a little worried about, I could always leave them at stock speeds, or set the fans to over 70% where they would get super loud. Should I be worrying about any of these temps at all?

Update 1:

I ran 3DMark06 quickly from idle temps and got the following max temps along with a score of 20615 3DMarks:

CPU @ 51 C
Motherboard @ 44 C
GPU 1 (Top) @ 67 C
GPU 2 (Bottom) @ 61 C

3DM06 should yield comparable temps to gaming temps, are you experiencing any crashes?

Are there any airflow improvements you can make to your case, to make your temps better?

You should be fine, but if it was me, I would want to get the best airflow and temps I possibly could, do you have any pics of your case inside?

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Well I just ordered a Cooler Master 212+ along with 4 Scythe Slipstreams, 2 for the cooler, and 2 for the side of the case.

Here's some current pictures of my rig:

DSC00445.jpg

The front of it with the black panel in it's normal position, it is slotted to allow air flow through it:

DSC00446.jpg

The front of the case with the black front access panel down. There is a fan right behind there but it doesn't get much airflow since the yellow case gets in the way, I was thinking of either drilling a bunch of small holes in the panel, or just cutting out a circular area. Which is the better option?

DSC00448.jpg

The inside of the case, you can see the angled fan beneath the DVD Drive aiming air kind of down towards the graphics cards. You can also see the small fan I have in front of the Hard Drives that pulls in front the bottom of the front panel.

DSC00450.jpg

Another picture of the inside of the case along with the side panel so you can see where I currently have the side fan that is set up as exhaust to pull hot air away from the graphics cards before it rises up to the CPU.

G

Seems pretty cool for the 955, have you tried lowering the voltage manually and checking stability?

The 955 I had would only do 3.7ghz on 1.475v and that was hot :fou:

What about an aftermarket coolers for your 5750's?

I read somewhere else that around 80 C for these cards was pretty normal.

Have you checked temps with the side off, I ditched case fans and just leave the side off, room temp air is always cooler and less fans=less noise.

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks for the ideas Mr_Benn.

The graphics cards are the Sapphire Vapor-X editions so the cooling is already a lot more aggressive than the basic offerings from most companies, so adding on an after market cooler to each is hard to justify. So I guess that GPU's can handle a lot more heat then CPU's can?

As for the side, and the side fan, I've tried it without the side fans, with the side fan set to intake, and with the side panel completely taken off, but having the side fan set to exhaust gives the lowest GPU temps by about 5 degrees Celsius and also 2-3 degrees Celsius cooler for the CPU as well. My room isn't that cool, average room temp in the summer hits around 25 because we don't have air conditioning that works.

As for my 955, I just have it running at 3.8 GHz by using a multiplier of 19 and let my board to everything automatically. It runs perfectly stable when I throw about 5 benchmarks at it all at once along with Prime95.

I just want cooler temps. My 212+ just shipped today from newegg.ca and I'm waiting on the Scythe Slipstream fans I ordered to ship then once there in, I'll be right back to the drawing board testing out various configurations.

G

Man, sounds like you've tried a few things.

Had a look around and not that many decent cooler options about anyway. Found a few other forums discussing cooling the 5750 and it seems that 80 deg aint that hot so maybe its not such a problem.

When it gets warm here, which is hardly ever (GB) I sit a 20" deskfan beside my rig slowly blowing cool air over everything.

Sounds daft but it works, imagine what a 20" fan on a cpu cooler could do :lol:

Only other expensive option would be to move house, I mean get a different case, a big case with loads of room for airflow and possibly a bottom mounted psu might help, mine actually circulates air underneath the graphics card, might help.

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Yep, I have definitely tried a few things for sure.

I was thinking about modding a base for the case and cutting some holes in the bottom to create some lower circulation for the cards, a bigger case isn't an attractive option, I go out of town a lot and like the smaller case size for travel.

I might just have to wait for those new fans and 212+ to come in, and try drilling holes in the front of my case for a little more airflow for the bottom fan across the hard drives.

G

Ok, hope you get it sorted.

Bit of a change of subject but how did you upload your photos?

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I'll try the voltage reduction idea when I get home from work in the morning.

As for uploading pictures, I use tinypic.com, just uploaded them directly from my camera.

UPDATE 1:

Manually set voltage in BIOS to 1.3715 and just started Prime95 Blend along with Furmark with all options on.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.8 GHz
Dual ATI 5750 @ 870 MHz / 1300 MHz
Miscellaneous case fans pictured above

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
New post for the new results.

So I had to restart the test because my computer decided to hibernate after a mini power outage. So I restarted the tests and after 2 hours so far of Prime95, I'm looking at the following setup and temps:

Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.8 GHz (1.3715 V, set manually in the BIOS)
Dual Sapphire 5750 Vapor-X @ 870/1300 MHz
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
4GB (2x 2 GB) G.Skill 1600 MHz Ripjaws @ 7-8-7-24 (1.65 V)
Assortment of 4 120mm fans, 2 on front, 2 on side
90mm exhaust fan

Running Prime95 and Furmark for 2 hours, I am getting the following temps:

CPU @ 56 C
Motherboard @ 43 C
GPU 1 (Top) @ 82 C
GPU 2 (Bottom) @ 73 C

Update 1

Parts are in, when I make it home this weekend, I'll be sure to install the new Scythe Slipstream Fans, Cooler Master 212+, and a Scythe KQ01-BK-3.5 "KAZE Q" Fan Controller seen here:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998065

I'll be sure to take pictures and document the whole process for anyone else interested in how to install the 212+ as well as tips and tricks for installing case fans.

wheelzz

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

I know this post is old but I thought I would comment. Those temps are better on the CPU but under 55C is best even though AMD says 62C Im guessing the 212+ helped? what temps did you get after that?