Sign in with
Your question

Kinda confused: MSI Easy OC Switch v. OC Genie?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • MSI
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 7, 2010 3:08:27 AM

So I just built this system (waiting to add some things):

Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz
4 GB DDR3 1600
64 GB SSD
Rosewill 430W PSU
Powercolor Go Green Radeon HD 5670 (not yet installed)

and most importantly, the MSI 890GX g65 motherboard.

My questions is this: the board has "OC Genie" which, unless I'm incorrect, is just in the BIOS. It also has their easy OC switch on the motherboard. What is the different in the effect/what are the benefits of the two? It has been years since I've built a system, and the last time I ever overclocked was way back when the original Athlon's could be overclocked by drawing a line with a graphite pencil across the top to the CPU! MSI's materials are vague per the usual. Any help would be awesome.

More about : kinda confused msi easy switch genie

a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 8, 2010 10:05:15 PM

Learn to use the BIOS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 7:32:48 AM

^+1 to Jsc's comment, however to answer your question, http://hothardware.com/News/MSIs-OC-Genie-Makes-OCing-S...
oc genie is the chip (looks like a capacitor tbh) that makes the easy oc button work, its no bios twiddling involved, just push the oc button and it does its thing.
Moto
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 8:24:06 AM

+1, but bios has better controls and is safer, if you know what you are doing,
Learn to use the bios, its not difficult-
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 3:01:55 PM

I was agreeing with the bios option myself, but I also wanted to clarify what the oc was/did, not recommending it :p 
Moto
m
l
November 16, 2010 2:16:17 PM

The switch just turns on the dial. The Genie is a bios program.
However, I have found neither of these to be useful as they tend to freeze a system. So, don't count on these in lieu of manually setting overclock through the BIOS.
m
l
January 23, 2011 10:16:40 AM

I also hav same mobo and wanted to try out OC switch so i set it to 10% oc and even enabled oc gine at bios when i started my pc my CPU was running at 3080Mhz stock is 2.8Ghz but it didnot OCed my gfx card ?? i used 3dmark 06 and got 25 points boost only with easy oc switch like i said it did nothing to my gfx card
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
January 23, 2011 3:36:01 PM

hitec16 said:
I also hav same mobo and wanted to try out OC switch so i set it to 10% oc and even enabled oc gine at bios when i started my pc my CPU was running at 3080Mhz stock is 2.8Ghz but it didnot OCed my gfx card ?? i used 3dmark 06 and got 25 points boost only with easy oc switch like i said it did nothing to my gfx card

That's because it has nothing to do with your gpu.
Try MSI Afterburner for that.
Plus i agree with the above members manual oc in your bios.
m
l
January 24, 2011 2:42:43 AM

davcon said:
That's because it has nothing to do with your gpu.
Try MSI Afterburner for that.
Plus i agree with the above members manual oc in your bios.

ok so it doesnot OC the GPU then it only OC my CPU or it OC the RAM also?? coz i don knw abt ocing the amd cpu much.Ocing intel CPU is easier i think .
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 24, 2011 6:20:12 PM

Your Gpu, as its name suggests is a seperate processor for graphics duty,
you overclock your Cpu using bios/genie/easy Oc,
and depending on whether your ram speed is tied to the fsb/ht will determine if it also clocks your ram up or not
you overclock your cpu and gpu seperately
If you dont know much, as by your own admission, I would advise against doing anything to anything until you learn a little more, just to avoid any accidents/damage.
Moto
m
l
!