Opinion on cooler master 212 and the coolit eco

letterkilled

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
ok so today i went and bought a coolit eco liquid cooling. unfortunately my case is dumb. and i cant put the radiator/fan on the back of the pc tower. the PSU is placed on top of the tower, to the top of the radiator bumps into psu. sooo i pretty much dont know what to do.
i have noticed that alot of people recommend the cool master 212. now when you compare liquid cooling to air cooling is kinda hard. but obviously i cant fit it. i just bought the case, and unfortunately i cant return the case cuz i already put stickers on it. as in the cpu and video card sticker. so since im pooh outa luck on the liquid, what would you recommend on a high end air cooling?

ps. im looking to OC my i5-760 to 3.6ghz. so somthing that could take that speed.

so explain why everyone on this site diggs the 212 so much?

letterkilled

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
here is my case. if anyone has an idea on a good way to ghetto rig it. that would be legit. i just really dont wanna take the cooling back. but please hit up why everyone likes the cooler master so much. and would it be ok when i oc the cpu to 3.6 ish

dhongkool1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
i'm totally against coolit eco if you're gonna get a non-loop watercooling system go for the corsair H50
the 212+ is great
here are some other suggestions:
prolimatech megahalems
coolermaster v6 gt
thermalright TRUE or IFX-14
noctua something 14
any of these could easily reach 4 GHZ + (maybe not the 212)

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

You could drill hole on the back for water lines and mount rad outside -don't know if water lines are long enough thou or remove stickers(send it back) and replace it with bigger case

letterkilled

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
yeah. so i tried to stretch the hoses a lil longer past the case to see if i could screw it outside of the it. but they werent long enuf. so i returned it. and after standing there for 20 minutes i bought the 212+. added a second fan to it. because of my luck the back plate wouldnt fit cuz there was lil chip on the back of the mobo. so i had to add these lil red cardboard washer to it to raise it up a lil bit. this thing is huge! it seriously looks like an engine motor in my case. its rad. but yeah. the lowest temp i have seen at idle is 25C. where at stock fan was at 45c. havent primed it yet. but im pretty happy about it. im not looking to get at 4GHz so 3.6-.3.8 will do just fine. two fans are worth it.

The noctua D-14P (i think) IS FREEKING HUGE not even, if he can't fit the Eco ALC not even going to fit it. In terms of fitting, your probably going to end up with the 212+. If your on budget its really cheap and effective, if you add some fans on it such as 2 Scythe S-Flex or Slipstreams (of the highest RPM being 1900RPM) Then It'll really perform on par with high-end coolers. Put on two delta's in push pull :lol: It's a victory. :bounce:

Anyway, the ECO A.L.C is defiantly better for the price than an H50, since it's 70$ while the H50 is 80$ STILL!
Review: http://www.overclockers.com/coolit-eco-alc-review/
H50 = ECO A.L.C, Is basically the result of the review. Plus I've heard many cases of failing on the H50 after a while. Sooo... Both are very iffy choices, however I'd have gone with the ECO A.L.C too in terms of price performance, also since it competes with the coolers at it's price.

Anyways, since you did buy it! NICE!

letterkilled

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
the 212+ is like 1/2 a "cm" from the computer side door. i think i already mentioned this, but im drunk so ill say it anyways, i even had trouble installing that on my msi p55 gd80 mobo. on the back of the board there was a small little chip, and the clamp that was suppose to go on it was in the way. so i put some cardboard washer on it to raise it up a lil bit.

i did the prime at stock and it got to 40c. and that was it. im pretty impressed with it. hopefully it doesnt jump up too much when i clock it. the noctua looks Fuckin epic. i would love to have that thing. or just have the fans. they look sweet as it is. there are no good computer stores in sacramento so i had to go to a store that rhymed with "lies". it was the 212+ or a Zalman, that was like a 90mm fan. but was made of all copper. anyways i pretty much wrote a novel. so now its your turn.

o_O The Hyper 212+ is enough... The Noctua fans are useless, don't even go for them. Although they do cool well. There RPM is so low, when cooling a CPU you want a fan that has at least 1500rpm, there fastest is 1300rpm if i remember correctly. The reason being, the higher the RPM the faster it'll push the air through. So two 2000rpm fans with push-pull on the hyper 212+ will do very well.

The reason I say noctua fans are useless, they are 20$ a piece. Go for something like the Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm, it's quieter than the Hyper 212+ stock fans. Sorry to say but you may have to go online if you want it cheaper. The Slipstream I mentioned are 9$ on Newegg, outside its 15$. Soo.... Online is the way to go on Scythe fans. It's rated at 110 CFM @ 37 dBA
Product: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060&cm_re=scythe_slipstream_120mm-_-35-185-060-_-Product

Another choice is the Thermalright FDB 2000, it's rated at 2000rpm, so faster than the scythe (i'd get this one actually) but lower CFM. The reason is the scythe is 1900rpm + or - 10% so it's not always going to be 1900rpm. While the Thermalright will remain at a solid 2000rpm on max if controled. It used to be cheaper, only 10$ on Newegg, but they ran out of stock, so frozen is the only place I could find to sell it, they sell it at 15$. It's rated at 81CFM at 38 dBA
Product: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8325/fan-509/Thermalright_FDB_120mm_x_25mm_Stealth_Silent_Fan_-_2000RPM_TR-FDB-2000.html

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

thats what i have!!!

V6 GT works great in my mini ITX build. WARNING!!! its loud!!! but hey if you wanter performance your gunna have to sacrifice comfort (kinda like top fuel dragsters....hellatious power and loud as hell) lol

i have only had it running for 2days but my i5 661 3.33GHz OC to 4.16GHz ran prime95 at no more than 67 degrees and idled at around mid to high 20s in temp. its a really great cooler IMO

letterkilled

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
The reason I say noctua fans are useless, they are 20$ a piece. Go for something like the Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm, it's quieter than the Hyper 212+ stock fans. Sorry to say but you may have to go online if you want it cheaper. The Slipstream I mentioned are 9$ on Newegg, outside its 15$. Soo.... Online is the way to go on Scythe fans. It's rated at 110 CFM @ 37 dBA
Product: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Another choice is the Thermalright FDB 2000, it's rated at 2000rpm, so faster than the scythe (i'd get this one actually) but lower CFM. The reason is the scythe is 1900rpm + or - 10% so it's not always going to be 1900rpm. While the Thermalright will remain at a solid 2000rpm on max if controled. It used to be cheaper, only 10$ on Newegg, but they ran out of stock, so frozen is the only place I could find to sell it, they sell it at 15$. It's rated at 81CFM at 38 dBA
Product: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/ [...] -2000.html

thanks for those links! when was at the store that rhymed with "lies" they didnt have a singe good fan there. i was pretty disappointing. there was one fan there called "Excalibur" and they wanted like 20$+ for it. but i wasnt going to spend that kind of money on it. and they only regular fan with a high RPM came in like 4 packs. everything else was around 900RPMS and flashy lights. which i wasn't all about.

i read the reviews on the Scyhe. looks like alot of people are bitching about the noise it gives off. but that aint no big thing. sometimes i do leave the computer on over night, because of a game or something like that. but ill look into that fan for sure

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
surprised...Fry's here in Austin, TX is really good about keeping good high quality parts in stock...... i went looking for a V6GT and i found a rack of about 15 of them lol

dont always look at fan RPM...its not what determines the overall air flow.....its the CFM that you should be worried about and bds...who cares!!! my motto "the louder the better "

O.O RPM does matter, if you had a noctua fan moving 80 cfm at 1300rpm, and a thermalright fan at 80cfm moving at 2000rpm, the thermalright is going to be more efficient because it moves the air faster because of the RPM, of course a 8000 rpm fan moving 20 cfm really fails but. Generally high RPM and CFM should be in the 80's of cfm and higher than 1700rpm. If you get my drift.

@Letter
The people cry over the noise because they don't know anything about the fan. If you have a 110cfm fan running 1900rpm, OF COURSE IT'll BE LOUD. They just expect EVERYSINGLE 9$ fan to run at 19dba with 80CFM, that is rare, and probably will never happen. If it does run at those specs, usually its not a 120mm.

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

it does matter but i dont think its being explained the right way. see is that the maximum RPMs of the fans?? no......so overall one is going to have more efficiency (more CFM ) running at 100% with a fan controller over the other one :D