Some Gigabytes problems with detecting HDD

Negar

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
sometimes in some Gigabyte motherboards, there is a problem on detecting hard drive. The mainboard can't detect the hard even if you restart the PC for many times, at least you should power off the PC from the back key and after some minutes power it on, then it starts to work! Does any one know the result of this fault ?

You need to indicate which motherboard(s) and hard disks? SATA or IDE interface? I own a Gigabyte motherboard with several WD and Seagate hard disks and I never ran into that issue. Is your comment based on personal experience?

Negar

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

First thank you for your response. I'm working at a company and I work with many PCs with different kindes of motherboards and HDDs, but I encountered this problem on some PCs which their mainboards are Gigabyte (with different HDDs) and I find out that it happens on the PCs which their cases have static electricity and I can just guess that when I turned off PC from the back key, the capacitors on the mainboard release their load, and after some minutes when I turned it on, it doesn't have this problem. But I don't understand the exact result of this fault.

bilbat

Splendid
The first thing to try is, with the power off at the rear switch, to jumper the CLR_CMOS pins in the center of the board for a few seconds, remove the jumper, then power up the machine and enter the BIOS (if you get a graphics 'splash csreen, you will need to depress <TAB> to get to the post screen) from the POST screen by depressing <DEL>, cursor to the "Load Optimized Defaults" item, and depress <ENTER> to execute this function; save and exit for a reboot, and, with any luck, problem will cease...

Another thing to be aware of is that, if you have Seagate drives, there are a large number with a firmware problem that will sometimes prevent them from coming on-line, and look like a 'dead' drive:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931
Follow their directions carefully; 'flashing' the repair firmware to certain drives which do not require it will render those drives inoperable!

Who made those cases? It looks like they are not grounded properly or you may have faulty grounds. Did an electrician verify the power outlets to make sure they are properly grounded?