Hard Drive External Enclosure(s)

Pyoroi

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
So i've been loking online for at least 2 hours now, and I'm having a difficult time finding a simple external hard drive enclosure that has a hot swappable interface.

Here's what I currently have:
2 1.5TB external hard drives, one I just have hooked up with a sata-to-usb connector, and the other...well i had a old WD Essential, but the hard drive fried so i ended up just taking off the outer case and using the guts as a hard drive dock of sorts. long story short, I have 2 drives that are pretty much in the open, on pretty much 24/7 and need to be cased. I need them to be hot swappable because i tend to switch hard drives around a lot lol.

A PERFECT example of this is the Lian-Li ex-10 case. It is EXACTLY what I want, but I cant seem to find a reputable company that actually has one lol. Has anyone else seen something similar to this? I would go with the ex-20 that newegg has, but it has zero reviews, and I dont want to RAID them. I guess im not 100% sure that if I plug in 2 drives to it, it will show up as 2 seperate drives in my computer.

P.S. I hope this is the right category, this is the closest category in regards to my question i could find.

Why don't you just get a bare drive dock like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392037

17-392-037-TS

To swap drives, you:

- use the "safely remove hardware" icon from the taskbar
- press the big power button so that the drive spins down
- remove old drive
- insert new drive
- press the big power button to spin up the new drive

I use one of these for backing up my system and it works great.

Pyoroi

Distinguished
May 30, 2009

I've used those. My particular issue is that it looks tacky. I know I sound picky, but the way I have my system set up is that my HTPC actually has my external drive and my backup drives connected to it in the fashion i mentioned in my first post. Right now they are safely hidden away in some old cabinet that was given to me by my dad. I plan on upgrading this cabinet soon to a more open, let-me-see-what-components-your-using TV stand.