Problems with NIC after Q6600 B3 OC?

caribpapi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I gutted my old system including the CPU (Intel Quad 2 Core Q6600 B3) and I decided to try overclocking my CPU and hopefully later on, my memory. I posted this on the EVGA forums since I purchased a EVGA 750i board. Here goes the thread I made there including my exact system specs and the advice I was given:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=613925&mpage=1#614375

My system seems fine at 3.2GHz, but the only thing is that downloads and internet browsing seem broken. I can browse websites, but I have problems at times with pages showing weird characters, colors messing up, downloads being corrupt and pages that use Flash/Java not loading. Everything works perfect when it comes to browsing on my other system.

I still haven't even gotten to doing a OC test to check stability, so can anyone suggest anything I can change in order to get my network problems fixed?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Looked at your EVGA posting. Did you change any PCIe speed settings? It may be that when you tweaked your system, you inadvertantly made your PCIe system unstable. Since your NIC is an on-board PCIe device it may be having trouble operating beyond the default speeds.

Also, I would recommend you don't waste your time trying to OC your memory. The gains are miniscule and may end up with an unstable system. Really not worth the effort.

Last, you could always disable your on-board NIC and install one in your available PCI or PCIe slots to see if that helps.

Good luck!

caribpapi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
No changes made to PCI or PCIe settings. I went back to default settings in my BIOS and everything works fine using the internet and downloading again. Once again, tried entering the settings I was given 1 by 1 and I go back to my downloads and webpages screwing up.

My system just might not like the settings I was given, so if anyone has any suggestions that won't kill my system, let me know please. :)

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I just looked at your other post and a few things come to mind here.

1. I know that when overclocking on LGA 775 that 4 x RAM sticks can sometimes cause issues. I would just try it with 2 x 1GB sticks in dual-channel, leave the 1 x 2GB stick out for now.

2. 1.35 on the CPU voltage might be too high, try backing it down just a little bit after you've proceeded with step 1.

3. Your RAM voltage is 1.9, check the manufacturer website to see if you're allowed to go higher on the RAM voltage, if so, i would shoot for 2.0 or perhaps 2.1 if it's allowed.

Remember, do all of this with just the 2 x 1GB sticks, then if you get it stable you might try to add the other RAM stick. Also, it's not a necessity but try to keep the CPU/RAM frequency ratio @ 1:1

1.35 is a rather normal voltage for a Core 2 65mn chip.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

ummm... 1.24 is stock, i have my Q6600 @ 3.6 running 1.365, maybe i am either very lucky or he got a no-so-OC-friendly chip, either way, my suspicion is that it's the RAM causing the issue, if true, then no harm in seeing if they can hit 3.2 on the Q6600 with a lower voltage.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
i thought the E6750 Conroe's stock was 1.25-ish, no? Holy VID batman!

Maybe i am double lucky, i have actually dealt with 3 Q6600's in my time and all 3 had stock of 1.25 VCORE

I have seen some people with 6750's at 1.25 but mine defaulted to 1.35 in my board I could have probably undervolted it at stock speeds. Its really weird how it varys, but either way the OP is still within a very safe voltage range

caribpapi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks for the info jon,

1. Tried it, but still had the same issue.

2. I tried backing down the CPU voltage quite a bit, but I start to get a "Hardware Failure Message" I believe in Windows when it starts. As Sniper stated, my chip defaulted to 1.350V.

3. This might be part of it, I boosted it up to 2.1 and at least smaller downloads download fine without corruption. I tried download a 150mb EXE file and it didn't open, I also still have problems on pages using Flash or Java. I checked my Memory Voltage options in my BIOS and I was looking at the green (safe?) settings and it says I can boost my memory all the way to 2.2V (with plenty of increments in between) and it would still be considered "in the green". Is this too dangerous to try at this point?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Next thing to try is the 1 x 2GB stick in RAM slot 1, see what happens there, might have a bad memory module there with one of those 1 x 1GB sticks...

What speed is your memory rated at? and what speed is it running at when your system is overclocked? I had to drop the divider on my RAM so I could reach 3.5 and keep ram speed at 1060 (stock speed is 1066). Course my FSB : DRAM ratio is something ridicilious.

caribpapi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Same thing. :(

Tried this as well and even though it seems to load quicker, sites like Youtube don't load videos. I tried things like clearing my internet cache, reinstalling Flash and Java and tried both IE and Firefox, but I get the same issues.

Here goes the page with all the info:

http://www.wintecind.com/features/DRAM/Desktop_Memory/DDR2AMPX.html

I got 1 of the 3AXT6400C5-2048 and the 3AXT6400C5-2048K kit.

caribpapi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

Well, I don't have a PCI/PCIe card to try, but I did disable the on-board NIC and used a USB wireless adapter and no network problems.

I guess I gotta pick one up this week.