Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I do it myself?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2005 9:23:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
A plug in card?
TIA

--
no I'm not a blonde....why do you ask?

More about : question

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2005 9:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
<JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

>
>I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
>A plug in card?
>TIA

There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.

Some useful links;

http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.ht...

http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html

http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_car...

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 1:23:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you are
doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid card you
actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware and
the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should take
it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to happen to
your computer!


"JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
news:399pboF60bsalU1@individual.net...
>
> I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
> A plug in card?
> TIA
>
> --
> no I'm not a blonde....why do you ask?
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 2:14:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"cluedweasel" <cluelessweasel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110422952.5a54a9a7fcc7507dab7b6d5487463ed9@teranews...
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
>
> >
> >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
> >A plug in card?
> >TIA
>
> There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
> for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
> If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.
>
> Some useful links;
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.ht...
>
> http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html
>
> http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm
>
> http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_car...
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks :)  It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 2:16:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
news:L6qdnVO2yPJeILLfRVn-rg@adelphia.com...
> you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you are
> doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid card
you
> actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware and
> the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should
take
> it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to happen
to
> your computer!
>
==
Your so sweet :)  I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's like
that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for sure!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 3:58:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
news:399pboF60bsalU1@individual.net...
>
> I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
> A plug in card?

Sure it is pretty easy.

Gareeth
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 12:06:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

JulyRaine wrote:
> I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do
> myself? A plug in card?
> TIA

Well, this is coming from a blonde, so take it as you will :)  but you can
definitely do it. You'd be surprised at how much you can do in the box when
you have to. Much nicer than paying someone else. lol


---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 12:43:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"cluedweasel" <cluelessweasel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110422952.5a54a9a7fcc7507dab7b6d5487463ed9@teranews...
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
>
> >
> >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
> >A plug in card?
> >TIA
>
> There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
> for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
> If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.
>
> Some useful links;
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.ht...
>
> http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html
>
> http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm
>
> http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_car...
>
> Hope this helps.
=
I just looked at these links and they are a big help...thanks so much :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 12:48:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"cluedweasel" <cluelessweasel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110422952.5a54a9a7fcc7507dab7b6d5487463ed9@teranews...
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
>
> >
> >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
> >A plug in card?
> >TIA
>
> There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
> for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
> If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.
>
> Some useful links;
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.ht...
>
> http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html
>
> http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm
>
> http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_car...
>
> Hope this helps.



Everything is coming together in my understanding...pictures help. I have
and AGP
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 12:49:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Last question,
are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?


"JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
news:399pboF60bsalU1@individual.net...
>
> I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
> A plug in card?
> TIA
>
> --
> no I'm not a blonde....why do you ask?
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 1:19:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
<JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

>I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
>A plug in card?

Absolutely. But before you buy a new one, figure out what ports you
have, and have available. Is your videocard intergrated, and so on.

If you do not have an intergrated card, it's simply a matter of
unscrewing the screw at the top of the case where the card comes out,
and then depending on wether it's an AGP or PCI port, use your finger
to click the card-lock down, so it can be removed. And slide in the
new one and screw it tight.

***WARNING*** make sure you're grounded while doing this! Take off any
fussy socks etc. you might be wearing, and make sure you touch the
steel frame of the computer for instance, before touching the
components. The human body can store a static shock of a hundred
thousand volts quite easily, and if it unloads into the card or your
computer, they may be ruined.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 1:19:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:e34031l52uc4b7chiac0ukrahs8mt0rp5k@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
>
> >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
> >A plug in card?
>
> Absolutely. But before you buy a new one, figure out what ports you
> have, and have available. Is your videocard intergrated, and so on.
>
> If you do not have an intergrated card, it's simply a matter of
> unscrewing the screw at the top of the case where the card comes out,
> and then depending on wether it's an AGP or PCI port, use your finger
> to click the card-lock down, so it can be removed. And slide in the
> new one and screw it tight.
>
> ***WARNING*** make sure you're grounded while doing this! Take off any
> fussy socks etc. you might be wearing, and make sure you touch the
> steel frame of the computer for instance, before touching the
> components. The human body can store a static shock of a hundred
> thousand volts quite easily, and if it unloads into the card or your
> computer, they may be ruined.

Thanks for the warning :)  Are you saying that before I buy a card I need to
see if it specifies AGP or PCI?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 1:20:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:14:49 -0800, "JulyRaine"
<JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

>Thanks :)  It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
>Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.

It's pretty much the same, except for the AGP card-lock you have to
push down, it makes the card pop up slightly.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 1:42:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:14:49 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
> >Thanks :)  It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
> >Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.
> It's pretty much the same, except for the AGP card-lock you have to
> push down, it makes the card pop up slightly.

Some newer graphics cards need one or two additional power cables; in some
cases, the card does work without, but slower, without the driver
complaining. Check in the manual whether there are specific requirements
to the power connection (such as that no HD may be fed from the same power
cable). Heed the warning about grounding. (But when checking the
installation instructions and taking care, it is really no problem.)

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 1:42:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.60.0503101036270.8366@cip213.studcs.uni-sb.de...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:14:49 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
> > >Thanks :)  It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
> > >Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.
> > It's pretty much the same, except for the AGP card-lock you have to
> > push down, it makes the card pop up slightly.
>
> Some newer graphics cards need one or two additional power cables; in some
> cases, the card does work without, but slower, without the driver
> complaining. Check in the manual whether there are specific requirements
> to the power connection (such as that no HD may be fed from the same power
> cable). Heed the warning about grounding. (But when checking the
> installation instructions and taking care, it is really no problem.)
>
> --
> Philipp Lucas
> phlucas@online-club.de
==
Thanks! I could see myself getting a card and being frustrated because I
didn't have the right hardware to run it :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 2:03:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

====
Thanks SeaShel ;) 
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 4:24:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Just remember the three rules

clean dry hands

touch the case but not the circuits

read the manual

;')

If you've done your Ethernet card you know the first two, the third one is
something everyone should do. *blushes* Yes, I am the person who reads
manuals before they start, it's sad but true.

MM



"JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
news:39aagcF5v19fjU1@individual.net...
>
> "Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
> news:L6qdnVO2yPJeILLfRVn-rg@adelphia.com...
> > you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you
are
> > doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid card
> you
> > actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware
and
> > the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should
> take
> > it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to
happen
> to
> > your computer!
> >
> ==
> Your so sweet :)  I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's like
> that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for
sure!
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 4:24:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:bUXXd.192037$K7.63185@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Just remember the three rules
>
> clean dry hands
>
> touch the case but not the circuits
>
> read the manual
>
> ;')
>
> If you've done your Ethernet card you know the first two, the third one is
> something everyone should do. *blushes* Yes, I am the person who reads
> manuals before they start, it's sad but true.
>
> MM
==
I usually don't....but with the Ethernet card I sure did. Don't want
nothing bad happening to my better half :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 9:39:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:35:56 -0800, "JulyRaine"
<JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

>Thanks for the warning :)  Are you saying that before I buy a card I need to
>see if it specifies AGP or PCI?

Yes, you have to know what standards you can use and what card to look
for. Otherwise you'll have a hell of a time jamming an AGP card into a
PCI slot, hehe (which does not work obviously!)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 10:02:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0800, "JulyRaine"
<JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

>Last question,
>are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?

Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 10:02:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:3r21315n7m2vdvqav3ejsvtus80btp7923@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
>
> >Last question,
> >are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?
>
> Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
> transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
> game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
> cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?
=====
I have to figure that out, I have a $200 budget
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 10:02:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
news:39bjsuF5424dmU1@individual.net...
>
> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:3r21315n7m2vdvqav3ejsvtus80btp7923@4ax.com...
> > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
> >
> > >Last question,
> > >are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?
> >
> > Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
> > transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
> > game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
> > cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?
> =====
> I have to figure that out, I have a $200 budget

Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that I
could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
purchase will have to wait now :( 

>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 10:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
news:RP-dnWEn0IqGA63fRVn-oA@comcast.com...
>
> "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
> news:39bjsuF5424dmU1@individual.net...
> >
> > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > news:3r21315n7m2vdvqav3ejsvtus80btp7923@4ax.com...
> > > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0800, "JulyRaine"
> > > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
> > >
> > > >Last question,
> > > >are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?
> > >
> > > Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
> > > transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
> > > game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
> > > cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?
> > =====
> > I have to figure that out, I have a $200 budget
>
> Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that
I
> could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
> Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
> purchase will have to wait now :( 
>
Don't you just hate that! Make great plans and then life happens.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 11:29:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:20:57 -0500, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that I
>could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
>Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
>purchase will have to wait now :( 

That's not a very good card, especially at that price.

Newegg.com for instance has a featured item that's a ATI Radeon 9600XT
(much faster than 9200) for 159$, and you can get an X600 XT with
256MB video memory for 176$, or a X700 for 183$, or... well you get
the idea.
March 10, 2005 11:29:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:7j7131pgq3bi291scbohpmug8hnfoomc8e@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:20:57 -0500, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>
>>Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that
>>I
>>could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
>>Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
>>purchase will have to wait now :( 
>
> That's not a very good card, especially at that price.




It is for her computer.


noname
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 2:13:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

its alot easier than installing an ethernet card :) 
"JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
news:39aagcF5v19fjU1@individual.net...
>
> "Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
> news:L6qdnVO2yPJeILLfRVn-rg@adelphia.com...
>> you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you are
>> doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid card
> you
>> actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware
>> and
>> the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should
> take
>> it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to happen
> to
>> your computer!
>>
> ==
> Your so sweet :)  I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's like
> that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for
> sure!
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 2:15:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

read the manual? what if you built your computer? there would be a
manual...my English skill aren't good enough to write a manual (don't take
this personally...just had one too many beers and am trying to make a funny)
"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:bUXXd.192037$K7.63185@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Just remember the three rules
>
> clean dry hands
>
> touch the case but not the circuits
>
> read the manual
>
> ;')
>
> If you've done your Ethernet card you know the first two, the third one is
> something everyone should do. *blushes* Yes, I am the person who reads
> manuals before they start, it's sad but true.
>
> MM
>
>
>
> "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
> news:39aagcF5v19fjU1@individual.net...
>>
>> "Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
>> news:L6qdnVO2yPJeILLfRVn-rg@adelphia.com...
>> > you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you
> are
>> > doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid
>> > card
>> you
>> > actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware
> and
>> > the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should
>> take
>> > it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to
> happen
>> to
>> > your computer!
>> >
>> ==
>> Your so sweet :)  I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's like
>> that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for
> sure!
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 4:10:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:7j7131pgq3bi291scbohpmug8hnfoomc8e@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:20:57 -0500, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>
> >Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw
that I
> >could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
> >Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
> >purchase will have to wait now :( 
>
> That's not a very good card, especially at that price.
>
> Newegg.com for instance has a featured item that's a ATI Radeon 9600XT
> (much faster than 9200) for 159$, and you can get an X600 XT with
> 256MB video memory for 176$, or a X700 for 183$, or... well you get
> the idea.

Considering that all I have now is the built-in Intel Graphics Controller,
any card is better, lol.
But I do have to say that I have found a few tricks lately that actually
make my game look pretty good.
This is the one I found and was thinking about but........
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 10:56:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Not computer manual - the booklet that comes with the new card. It tells you
which bits have to be connected to what and how big a power draw it
requires. Lovely things manuals

MM



"Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
news:G_CdnRw_FJXehqzfRVn-uQ@adelphia.com...
> read the manual? what if you built your computer? there would be a
> manual...my English skill aren't good enough to write a manual (don't take
> this personally...just had one too many beers and am trying to make a
funny)
> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:bUXXd.192037$K7.63185@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > Just remember the three rules
> >
> > clean dry hands
> >
> > touch the case but not the circuits
> >
> > read the manual
> >
> > ;')
> >
> > If you've done your Ethernet card you know the first two, the third one
is
> > something everyone should do. *blushes* Yes, I am the person who reads
> > manuals before they start, it's sad but true.
> >
> > MM
> >
> >
> >
> > "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
> > news:39aagcF5v19fjU1@individual.net...
> >>
> >> "Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
> >> news:L6qdnVO2yPJeILLfRVn-rg@adelphia.com...
> >> > you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you
> > are
> >> > doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid
> >> > card
> >> you
> >> > actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the
hardware
> > and
> >> > the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you
should
> >> take
> >> > it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to
> > happen
> >> to
> >> > your computer!
> >> >
> >> ==
> >> Your so sweet :)  I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's
like
> >> that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for
> > sure!
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 3:01:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Shannon Burke wrote:

> read the manual? what if you built your computer? there would be a
> manual...my English skill aren't good enough to write a manual (don't take
> this personally...just had one too many beers and am trying to make a funny)

Usually the parts come with manuals - having written of few of these
kind of things myself, I think they're bloody useless. But sometimes
flipping through them prevents one from thinking, "now what happens if I
plug this in here"... someplace where it probably ought not go.

-georg
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 3:01:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Madame Mim wrote:
> Seriously though, if you're writing manuals you probably already know
> which way up to plug in the power cable and what pin one is. I have seen
> come into the shop where I work - RAM that has been put in backwards, USB
> plugs plugged in upside down,
<<<snipped the endless stream of horror>>>

Really makes me wonder what both the rates of violent attacks (or
destruction of property within cubicles, for those manning the phones) by
and suicides of those who work tech support is... :p  From everything I hear
from those I know in the biz, I'd be in the first category by the end of my
first day. :) 

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 5:51:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Madame Mim wrote:

> Seriously though, if you're writing manuals you probably already know which
> way up to plug in the power cable and what pin one is.

Sadly, this isn't the case. The manuals I worked on involved obscure
servers and MPEG3 chips, stuff that's way above my head. My job was more
to edit for "legibility/comprehensiveness"- and I guess once I could
understand it, that was good enough. It was written by engineers for
engineers, and I am not an engineer. I worried that I was messing it up
further.

But then again, I don't do that any more for a living, so maybe I was.

I used to let my sweetie handle the computer upgrades.

He wanted a faster modem, but the Packard Hell computer is not designed
to be upgraded easily. And my sweetie likes to upgrade with a bottle of
whiskey. One more drink for every call to technical support kind of
thing. My offers for help were politely put off, and I was testily
informed that he knew what he was doing. I went to bed.

At 3 am, he threw open the bedroom door and announced, "I have
re-formatted the hard drive!"

I looked at the clock and then at him. "That's nice dear." And I rolled
over and went back to sleep.

In the morning, I RTFM'd, installed the modem, and did what I could to
restore the lost data.

Sigh.

-georg
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2005 1:24:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:BohYd.193444$K7.129246@news- ...........She had opened every program
she had and minimised them to the
> desktop and then pushed the monitor button when I asked her to turn off
> the
> computer. . .
>
> This doesn't include the guy who would delete things out of his Windows
> directory because
> 1. He didn't recognise the name
> 2. If the file was important Windows wouldn't have let him delete it
>
> I could go on, but I'd start to foam at the mouth.
>
> MM
>
Lovely stuff.
Don't forget the guy who kept all his data in the recycle bin because it
kept his hard drive tidy.

Granny.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2005 1:59:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Yes - we had a fellow that kept all his saved emails in his deleted emails
folder, because it was already there and thus he didn't need to make a new
one! He's lucky he was an onsite service and could tell us this, because the
first thing we do to a machine that enters the workroom is empty all
temporary folders and clean out the deleted items folder and empty the
recycle bin.
!

*sigh*

MM



"Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:BUoYd.2606$QN1.437@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:BohYd.193444$K7.129246@news- ...........She had opened every program
> she had and minimised them to the
> > desktop and then pushed the monitor button when I asked her to turn off
> > the
> > computer. . .
> >
> > This doesn't include the guy who would delete things out of his Windows
> > directory because
> > 1. He didn't recognise the name
> > 2. If the file was important Windows wouldn't have let him delete it
> >
> > I could go on, but I'd start to foam at the mouth.
> >
> > MM
> >
> Lovely stuff.
> Don't forget the guy who kept all his data in the recycle bin because it
> kept his hard drive tidy.
>
> Granny.
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2005 2:43:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:MppYd.193618$K7.49272@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Yes - we had a fellow that kept all his saved emails in his deleted emails
> folder, because it was already there and thus he didn't need to make a new
> one! He's lucky he was an onsite service and could tell us this, because
> the
> first thing we do to a machine that enters the workroom is empty all
> temporary folders and clean out the deleted items folder and empty the
> recycle bin.
> !
>
> *sigh*
>
> MM
>

I have to admit though, once, bored, I sat and deleted all my unknown win
files, one at a time to see what would happen. It was a long time ago,
though. I wouldn;t like to risk it with XP.
I think I ended up doing a fdisk. 8))))

When in doubt, reboot.

GCA
!