Can I do it myself?

I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
A plug in card?
TIA

--
no I'm not a blonde....why do you ask?
34 answers Last reply

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

    >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    >A plug in card?
    >TIA

    There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
    for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
    If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.

    Some useful links;

    http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.html

    http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html

    http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm

    http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_cards.htm

    Hope this helps.

    you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you are
    doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid card you
    actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware and
    the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should take
    it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to happen to
    your computer!

    "cluedweasel" <cluelessweasel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    >

    > >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    > >A plug in card?
    > >TIA
    >
    > There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
    > for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
    > If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.
    >
    > Some useful links;
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.html
    >
    > http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html
    >
    > http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm
    >
    > http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_cards.htm
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Thanks :) It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
    Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.

    "Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
    > you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you are
    > doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid card
    you
    > actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware and
    > the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should
    take
    > it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to happen
    > your computer!

    ==
    Your so sweet :) I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's like
    that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for sure!

    "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message

    > I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    > A plug in card?

    Sure it is pretty easy.

    Gareeth

    JulyRaine wrote:
    > I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do
    > myself? A plug in card?
    > TIA

    Well, this is coming from a blonde, so take it as you will :) but you can
    definitely do it. You'd be surprised at how much you can do in the box when
    you have to. Much nicer than paying someone else. lol

    ---
    Michelle
    (SeaShel)

    free the fish to reply

    "cluedweasel" <cluelessweasel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    >

    > >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    > >A plug in card?
    > >TIA
    >
    > There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
    > for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
    > If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.
    >
    > Some useful links;
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.html
    >
    > http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html
    >
    > http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm
    >
    > http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_cards.htm
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    =
    I just looked at these links and they are a big help...thanks so much :)

    "cluedweasel" <cluelessweasel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    >

    > >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    > >A plug in card?
    > >TIA
    >
    > There's no reason why not. Make sure you have the right type of card
    > for your machine though. It hould be either AGP, PCI or PCI Express.
    > If you're not sure post the make and model of your PC and I'll check.
    >
    > Some useful links;
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/content/3d_card_tutorial/start.html
    >
    > http://fineliving.com.com/4520-3118_7-5023982-1.html
    >
    > http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instgraphics.htm
    >
    > http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/video/video_cards.htm
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Everything is coming together in my understanding...pictures help. I have
    and AGP

    Last question,
    are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?

    "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message

    > I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    > A plug in card?
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > no I'm not a blonde....why do you ask?

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

    >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    >A plug in card?

    Absolutely. But before you buy a new one, figure out what ports you
    have, and have available. Is your videocard intergrated, and so on.

    If you do not have an intergrated card, it's simply a matter of
    unscrewing the screw at the top of the case where the card comes out,
    and then depending on wether it's an AGP or PCI port, use your finger
    to click the card-lock down, so it can be removed. And slide in the
    new one and screw it tight.

    ***WARNING*** make sure you're grounded while doing this! Take off any
    fussy socks etc. you might be wearing, and make sure you touch the
    steel frame of the computer for instance, before touching the
    components. The human body can store a static shock of a hundred
    thousand volts quite easily, and if it unloads into the card or your
    computer, they may be ruined.

    "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:23:47 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am ready to upgrade my graphic card, is it something I can do myself?
    > >A plug in card?
    >
    > Absolutely. But before you buy a new one, figure out what ports you
    > have, and have available. Is your videocard intergrated, and so on.
    >
    > If you do not have an intergrated card, it's simply a matter of
    > unscrewing the screw at the top of the case where the card comes out,
    > and then depending on wether it's an AGP or PCI port, use your finger
    > to click the card-lock down, so it can be removed. And slide in the
    > new one and screw it tight.
    >
    > ***WARNING*** make sure you're grounded while doing this! Take off any
    > fussy socks etc. you might be wearing, and make sure you touch the
    > steel frame of the computer for instance, before touching the
    > components. The human body can store a static shock of a hundred
    > thousand volts quite easily, and if it unloads into the card or your
    > computer, they may be ruined.

    Thanks for the warning :) Are you saying that before I buy a card I need to
    see if it specifies AGP or PCI?

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:14:49 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

    >Thanks :) It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
    >Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.

    It's pretty much the same, except for the AGP card-lock you have to
    push down, it makes the card pop up slightly.

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:14:49 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    > >Thanks :) It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
    > >Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.
    > It's pretty much the same, except for the AGP card-lock you have to
    > push down, it makes the card pop up slightly.

    Some newer graphics cards need one or two additional power cables; in some
    cases, the card does work without, but slower, without the driver
    complaining. Check in the manual whether there are specific requirements
    to the power connection (such as that no HD may be fed from the same power
    cable). Heed the warning about grounding. (But when checking the
    installation instructions and taking care, it is really no problem.)

    --
    Philipp Lucas
    phlucas@online-club.de

    "Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:14:49 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    > > >Thanks :) It's a home built computer (not by me!) I have installed an
    > > >Ethernet card before, so if it's like that then I know I can do it.
    > > It's pretty much the same, except for the AGP card-lock you have to
    > > push down, it makes the card pop up slightly.
    >
    > Some newer graphics cards need one or two additional power cables; in some
    > cases, the card does work without, but slower, without the driver
    > complaining. Check in the manual whether there are specific requirements
    > to the power connection (such as that no HD may be fed from the same power
    > cable). Heed the warning about grounding. (But when checking the
    > installation instructions and taking care, it is really no problem.)
    >
    > --
    > Philipp Lucas
    > phlucas@online-club.de
    ==
    Thanks! I could see myself getting a card and being frustrated because I
    didn't have the right hardware to run it :)

    ====
    Thanks SeaShel ;)

    Just remember the three rules

    clean dry hands

    touch the case but not the circuits

    read the manual

    ;')

    If you've done your Ethernet card you know the first two, the third one is
    something everyone should do. *blushes* Yes, I am the person who reads
    manuals before they start, it's sad but true.

    MM

    > Just remember the three rules
    >
    > clean dry hands
    >
    > touch the case but not the circuits
    >
    > read the manual
    >
    > ;')
    >
    > If you've done your Ethernet card you know the first two, the third one is
    > something everyone should do. *blushes* Yes, I am the person who reads
    > manuals before they start, it's sad but true.
    >
    > MM
    ==
    I usually don't....but with the Ethernet card I sure did. Don't want
    nothing bad happening to my better half :)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:35:56 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the warning :) Are you saying that before I buy a card I need to
    >see if it specifies AGP or PCI?

    Yes, you have to know what standards you can use and what card to look
    for. Otherwise you'll have a hell of a time jamming an AGP card into a
    PCI slot, hehe (which does not work obviously!)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

    >Last question,
    >are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?

    Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
    transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
    game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
    cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?

    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    >
    > >Last question,
    > >are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?
    >
    > Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
    > transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
    > game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
    > cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?
    =====
    I have to figure that out, I have a $200 budget

    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:49:31 -0800, "JulyRaine"
    > > <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Last question,
    > > >are there any video cards that ARE NOT compatiable with Sims 2?
    > >
    > > Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
    > > transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
    > > game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
    > > cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?
    > =====
    > I have to figure that out, I have a $200 budget

    Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that I
    could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
    Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
    purchase will have to wait now :(

    > "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > > > Old ones. What you REALLY want is to get a card with T&L, meaning
    > > > transform and lighting. It lowers the recommended requirement for the
    > > > game from 2ghz processor to 800mhz. Most all new cards except the
    > > > cheapest ones have T&L. What do you plan on buying?
    > > =====
    > > I have to figure that out, I have a $200 budget
    >
    > Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that
    > could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
    > Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
    > purchase will have to wait now :(

    Don't you just hate that! Make great plans and then life happens.

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:20:57 -0500, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

    >Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that I
    >could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
    >Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
    >purchase will have to wait now :(

    That's not a very good card, especially at that price.

    Newegg.com for instance has a featured item that's a ATI Radeon 9600XT
    (much faster than 9200) for 159$, and you can get an X600 XT with
    256MB video memory for 176$, or a X700 for 183$, or... well you get
    the idea.

    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:20:57 -0500, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw that
    >>could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
    >>Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
    >>purchase will have to wait now :(
    >
    > That's not a very good card, especially at that price.

    It is for her computer.

    noname

    its alot easier than installing an ethernet card :)
    "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message

    > "Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
    >> you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you are
    >> doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid card
    > you
    >> actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware
    >> and
    >> the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should
    > take
    >> it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to happen
    >> your computer!
    >>
    > ==
    > Your so sweet :) I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's like
    > that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for
    > sure!

    read the manual? what if you built your computer? there would be a
    manual...my English skill aren't good enough to write a manual (don't take
    this personally...just had one too many beers and am trying to make a funny)
    > Just remember the three rules
    >
    > clean dry hands
    >
    > touch the case but not the circuits
    >
    > read the manual
    >
    > ;')
    >
    > If you've done your Ethernet card you know the first two, the third one is
    > something everyone should do. *blushes* Yes, I am the person who reads
    > manuals before they start, it's sad but true.
    >
    > MM
    >

    > "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Shannon Burke" <shannon@murf2000.com> wrote in message
    >> > you really should have a pro do it for you if you don't know what you
    > are
    >> > doing...you really could mess up your computer...to update your vid
    >> > card
    >> you
    >> > actually need to buy a new one, open you case and install the hardware
    > and
    >> > the drivers...if you have never done anything like that then you should
    >> take
    >> > it to some who knows what they are doing, I don't want anything to
    > happen
    >> > your computer!
    >> >
    >> ==
    >> Your so sweet :) I have put in an Ethernet card before, so if it's like
    >> that then I can do it, if not then I will have someone else do it for
    > sure!

    "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:20:57 -0500, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Not sure where you are in the world, but I was looking myself and saw
    that I
    > >could get an ATI Radeon 9200 series for around $130 at Compusa.
    > >Unfortunately for me, real life raised it's ugly head and my video card
    > >purchase will have to wait now :(
    >
    > That's not a very good card, especially at that price.
    >
    > Newegg.com for instance has a featured item that's a ATI Radeon 9600XT
    > (much faster than 9200) for 159$, and you can get an X600 XT with
    > 256MB video memory for 176$, or a X700 for 183$, or... well you get
    > the idea.

    Considering that all I have now is the built-in Intel Graphics Controller,
    any card is better, lol.
    But I do have to say that I have found a few tricks lately that actually
    make my game look pretty good.
    This is the one I found and was thinking about but........
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316268&pfp=BROWSE

    Not computer manual - the booklet that comes with the new card. It tells you
    which bits have to be connected to what and how big a power draw it
    requires. Lovely things manuals

    MM

    Shannon Burke wrote:

    > read the manual? what if you built your computer? there would be a
    > manual...my English skill aren't good enough to write a manual (don't take
    > this personally...just had one too many beers and am trying to make a funny)

    Usually the parts come with manuals - having written of few of these
    kind of things myself, I think they're bloody useless. But sometimes
    flipping through them prevents one from thinking, "now what happens if I
    plug this in here"... someplace where it probably ought not go.

    -georg

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Madame Mim wrote:
    > Seriously though, if you're writing manuals you probably already know
    > which way up to plug in the power cable and what pin one is. I have seen
    > come into the shop where I work - RAM that has been put in backwards, USB
    > plugs plugged in upside down,
    <<<snipped the endless stream of horror>>>

    Really makes me wonder what both the rates of violent attacks (or
    destruction of property within cubicles, for those manning the phones) by
    and suicides of those who work tech support is... :P From everything I hear
    from those I know in the biz, I'd be in the first category by the end of my
    first day. :)

    Madame Mim wrote:

    > Seriously though, if you're writing manuals you probably already know which
    > way up to plug in the power cable and what pin one is.

    Sadly, this isn't the case. The manuals I worked on involved obscure
    servers and MPEG3 chips, stuff that's way above my head. My job was more
    to edit for "legibility/comprehensiveness"- and I guess once I could
    understand it, that was good enough. It was written by engineers for
    engineers, and I am not an engineer. I worried that I was messing it up
    further.

    But then again, I don't do that any more for a living, so maybe I was.

    I used to let my sweetie handle the computer upgrades.

    He wanted a faster modem, but the Packard Hell computer is not designed
    to be upgraded easily. And my sweetie likes to upgrade with a bottle of
    whiskey. One more drink for every call to technical support kind of
    thing. My offers for help were politely put off, and I was testily
    informed that he knew what he was doing. I went to bed.

    At 3 am, he threw open the bedroom door and announced, "I have
    re-formatted the hard drive!"

    I looked at the clock and then at him. "That's nice dear." And I rolled
    over and went back to sleep.

    In the morning, I RTFM'd, installed the modem, and did what I could to
    restore the lost data.

    Sigh.

    -georg

    news:BohYd.193444$K7.129246@news- ...........She had opened every program
    she had and minimised them to the
    > desktop and then pushed the monitor button when I asked her to turn off
    > the
    > computer. . .
    >
    > This doesn't include the guy who would delete things out of his Windows
    > directory because
    > 1. He didn't recognise the name
    > 2. If the file was important Windows wouldn't have let him delete it
    >
    > I could go on, but I'd start to foam at the mouth.
    >
    > MM

    Lovely stuff.
    Don't forget the guy who kept all his data in the recycle bin because it
    kept his hard drive tidy.

    Granny.

    Yes - we had a fellow that kept all his saved emails in his deleted emails
    folder, because it was already there and thus he didn't need to make a new
    one! He's lucky he was an onsite service and could tell us this, because the
    first thing we do to a machine that enters the workroom is empty all
    temporary folders and clean out the deleted items folder and empty the
    recycle bin.
    !

    *sigh*

    MM

    > Yes - we had a fellow that kept all his saved emails in his deleted emails
    > folder, because it was already there and thus he didn't need to make a new
    > one! He's lucky he was an onsite service and could tell us this, because
    > the
    > first thing we do to a machine that enters the workroom is empty all
    > temporary folders and clean out the deleted items folder and empty the
    > recycle bin.
    > !
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > MM

    I have to admit though, once, bored, I sat and deleted all my unknown win
    files, one at a time to see what would happen. It was a long time ago,
    though. I wouldn;t like to risk it with XP.
    I think I ended up doing a fdisk. 8))))

    When in doubt, reboot.

    GCA

Sims Graphics Cards Games Video Games