Installation Problem

heyniceaddress

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hi everyone!

I would like to think I know a little bit about computers, but this problem has me confounded. I built my first computer last fall with hardware from NewEgg and installed Windows XP on it. However, a gaming friend bought me a copy of Windows 7, as he thinks it will help me run games more smoothly.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to figure out how to install Windows 7 on my computer. I've formatted and reformatted PCs (and Macs) before without problem, but this one is perplexing to me: I restart my computer and go into the boot menu, and when I select boot from CD drive it takes me to a screen where it tells me to "press any key" to boot from CD, which I do, and then it proceeds to boot from the HD into XP. What?!

So, after having this happen a few times, I went into BIOS and removed my HD completely from bootable objects and turned them all to CD. I went into the boot menu again and went to boot from CD. It proceeded to boot from the HD. What?!

Here are my system specs:

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

If any of you have any suggestions, I would greatly welcome them, as I am stumped.

Thank you in advance for your time.

heyniceaddress

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Oh, sorry: It is a DVD-RW drive, and what I meant is that it shouldn't be an error with the DVD, since the same error occurs with my Windows XP CD and Ubuntu CD. Should I still try disconnecting the HD and seeing if it will boot, though?

heyniceaddress

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Sorry, I misspoke -- the XP and Ubuntu CDs aren't recognized when I select boot from CD when I try to do a reformat.

However, the DVD drive works, because I can play games and install things in the operating system.

Clearing the CMOS by removing the battery is not reliable as the CMOS memory on some motherboards can retain their data for days with no battery fitted. You should always clear the CMOS memory by moving the clear CMOS link to the clear CMOS memory position for a few seconds with the power cable DISCONNECTED. The manufacturers of the motherboard provide the clear CMOS link for this reason.