Heatsink Clearance Issues in Xeon W5580 build!

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I am in the process of assembling the following system:

* 2x Intel Xeon "Nehalem" W5580 (3.2Ghz)
* ASUS Z8PE-D12 Server Motherboard
* 12x2GB DDR3-1333 Corsair Memory
* 2x Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Black
* 2x Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru Kit
* Corsair HX 1000W PSU
* Silverstone Tenjim TJ10 with Side Window
* One 750GB Samsung Hard Drive (have to ckeck the model)

Unfortunately, I ran into a few problems! First off, the Tenjim TJ10 didn't have the screw holes in the same places as the ASUS board, despite both being SSI compatible. That one was relatively easy to solve: I asked a guy at a local workshop to drill three new screw holes in the right places, problem solved.

Now I ran into a much more stupid problem. One of the CPU socket areas is crowded with some capacitors and the thermalright retention bracket touches these capacitors. This is a major problem, because if I screw the bracket in, the electrical parts will probably be pressed under the retention bracket. Definitely a no-no scenario.

I'm currently thinking of a few options, but they all require me to bother the guy at the workshop again. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I'm keeping a log of this build, which is here:
http://www.ifi.unicamp.br/~daviddc/workstation1/

There are a few more details there, but not much (and no pictures yet, I have to put some pictures to actually show the problem! I'll do that tomorrow!)

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Well, here's my solution: I need 8 hex M3 male-female standoffs (out of aluminum or some metal) that are 5-6mm in height and I will use them to place the retention bracket (the "X" thingie) from thermalright roughly 5-6mm above its intended height, which will clear the electrical parts easily.

Obviously, if I only install the standoffs, the bracket will be 5-6mm above its intended height and won't press the heatsink in place like it should. That's why I'll also need 2 small square aluminum plates that are 5-6mm in height and that have a small hole in the middle, so that the screw that holds the bracket in place in the center of the heatsink fits in the hole, and there needs to be a screw hole that goes through the middle of this square plate so that I can put a screw head to fit the original hole in the middle of the TRUE heatsink. Sounds complicated, but I think it'll work nicely.

I'll go to the workshop tomorrow and will have them make the parts needed for this... hopefully, in a few days, I'll end up with a fully functional Xeon W5580 workstation. Well, it shouldn't have been so hard, but I think it'll still work beautifully.

I have never run into so much trouble assembling a rig, ever... :heink:

jelo

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I'm really looking forward with great anticipation on how you're progressing, as I'm going to build one comparable to yours my self.

:D