OCing gaming stutter problem??

d-day

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hi there all.

Here is some background info.

I have a Q9450, an 8800GT and 4 gig of OC'Z Reaper ram on an old Gigabyte P35 board. Now i've just bought a new 23" monitor so i'm going to get a new graphics card soon, either a 5770 or a 5830 (suggestions welcome) but i plan on keeping the processor for a while as i see no need changing that just yet.

Problem.

I decided to give my processor a mild overclock for a bit of a boost and it got to 3gig with only little increases to VCORE and MCH. Ram was set at 1:1. It seems stable with a few hours of Orthos torture.

My problem came whilst gaming a few days later when everything started to slow down and sounds became staggered and broken during a GPU hungry part of Mass Effect 2.

Now i don't know a lot about OCing but from what i've read on the forums i've not seen people talking about uping the PCI voltage.

Can i do this to sort out my problem or is it relarted to something else?

Also is this a common problem when ocing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
D-Day

what size monitor did you come from
sounds like you moved up in resolution far enough that your 8800gt
just isn't going to cut it 1080p
dial back on some graphics settings
as for your new video card
5830 or 460GTX 768mb minimum to play dx10/11 titles on high/very high @1080
5770 will not cut it assuming on high is a priority
honestly for good game play look at the full 1GB version of the 460.

J_Sparrow

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
do not change the PCI voltage, you might fry your graphics card.

Sounds like a problem with your graphics card struggling to play the game. try lower settings and if this resolves the fault then you know its yr GPU. When you upgrade your graphics card, consider getting another Nvida card so you can use your old card as a physix card if you have the spare slot.

Did the game stutter before the overclock on the same settings?

d-day

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I know what your saying about it being a now under strength graphics card powering a larger monitor, but if i take my CPU back to 2.66 stock voltage my card performs fine at 1960 x 1080 resolution (all be it a bit slow on occasion) and i have no issues, so the problem must be related to the overclock.

TRENDING THREADS