Noob question

G

How will you know if a motherboard is 64 bit? I have a core 2 duo e8200 and i would like to use it's 64 bit capability.

Thanks in advance.

G

thanks for your reply, however there is a notice on the intel site and cpu box that says:

"64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Consult with your system vendor for more information."

chipset and bios = motherboard right?

if i may rephrase the question:

how can i know if a motherboard chipset/BIOS supports 64 bit?

Thanks again!!

Everything needs to be 64 bit: hardware and software. Hardware is simple. Every Intel Core2 CPU, compatible chipset and BIOS, and mainstream motherboard supports 64 bits.

Software is a little more complex. You need a 64 bit OS and you need 64 bit device drivers. If you have an old piece of hardware with no 64 bit drivers available, you will not be able to use that hardware.

how can i know if a motherboard chipset/BIOS supports 64 bit?
To the best of my knowledge, there are NO motherboards which support 64-bit CPUs that are NOT 64-bit compatible. It would really be stupid for a MoBo manufacturer to make a motherboard that claimed support for 64-bit processor and not include the associated BIOS support - I don't think the market would take very kindly to it...

G

ok i got it.

so if a motherboard supports core 2 duo then it will support both 32 and 64 bit computing.

Thanks guys!!! :)