How to get files from other pc hard drive via a SATA to USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriswalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Hello, i am trying to get files from the hard drive of a computer that recently packed in, ps, the old pc packed in due to faulty motherboard, the hard drive works ok.
i bought a SATA to USB cable.
plugged it in and all seemed well. the working pc said device is installed and ready to use.
so i was now expecting to be able to click on the device and open my music and picture files etc.
not the case. in the MY COMPUTERS screen it doesnt show up. in device managers the external drive is recognized, but when i right or left click on anything to do with it all i get is the device propeties.

so please can someone advise me on how to simply find the files i want and to be able to open them etc ?.
ps, i dont know computer speak.

one last thing, the old drive came from a pc running vista, and my new pc is windows 7. dont know if that changes anything.
also both pcs are HP pavalions. my old broken pc is 3 years old, and my new on is a few months old.

lmanlo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
hello, The way is to go to control panel - System & Security- Administrative tools and open Computer Management
After that click on Disk Management on the left and select the drive does not have a drive letter.
After selecting it click on more actions on the right and then All Task and then Change Drive Letters & Paths and after that opens click add then select the lettery you want or just use the one selected.
That should make the drive appear in the My Computers

chriswalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
thank you so much. you sorted my problem out so easily, unlike the person i bought the cable from.
took 30 seconds to find my files. but took me over a week of emails back and forth from the seller to get me nowhere.
much appreciated.

lmanlo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.