BIOS updates for RAM compacity

fsmith75

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
My M3N78-VM currently supports 8Gb of DDR2. I've already flashed the BIOS from 1009 to 1305 for Phenom II support Is there any type of BIOS update that will double the RAM capacity to 16Gb? If so please let me know

That is a function of the hardware not the BIOS. Your board supports 8GB only, and will not have the bandwidth for more. Your Phenom II also might have issues with that much RAM at higher frequencies. It might only run at 800MHz, for instance.

the memory controller dictates what can be supported first, then the bios (some OEM's put limits on there products - seen it once or twice, rare) - check AMD's official specs for your processor for exact details etc

you would be surprised what most motherboard manufacturers will advertise, recommend, and use - all against official specs etc

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'm going to risk a question here: why the hell would you want/need 16GB? I took a quick look at NewEgg and 16GB (4*4GB) would cost about 600$. If you really need more than 8GB, it would probably be more worth it to get an i7 CPU (280$), MB (200$) and put 12GB of RAM (250$) on it (total 730$).