SSD OS and raid 0 storage

bwot75

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Just got and installed my new Vertex II 100g last night. I switched over from a raid 0 using 4 500g samsungs. My current setup is now Win7 installed on my ssd (clean install) and running my 4 500g in a raid 0 for storage and media streaming. I have read alot about making sure the ssd is in AHCI mode, well, with my mobo all sata devices are either going to run IDE, AHCI, or RAID. If I change to AHCI then I lose my Raid, all 4 discs show individual IDE. So I have left it on RAID and I get everything the way I want. Question is, Is there a better setup I should be using? or do I have it done correctly. So far everything is working ok and I am happy, just want to make sure I am getting the value of this drive. Thanks

If its all working fine then you've done a good job.. No point bothering over it unless of course you run across any issue(s).. Btw, how do you find the single SSD when compared to the 4 drive RAID 0 config.? I am under the impression that your RAID array will be performing faster compared the SSD..

bwot75

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I havent had a chance to run any taxing programs, but as far as installing and booting, the ssd id lightning fast in comparison. I will know more once I have installed some more programs and had a chance to run them. But so far I am very pleased with the performance of the SSD. I started the install of windows last night, went to make a ham and cheese sandwich and windows was fully installed on the last boot when I got back in, I thought something was wrong when I walked in, then the screen asking for username popped up, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor