anonomys1991

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Im making a hackintosh and i have the motherboard gpu ram and case so far but i dont know if dual or quad core which is the most productive? i will be using pro tools m-powered and apple logic.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I would always recommend getting a quadcore cpu...
dualcore is soon gonna be days of the past...as we are going to see more 6 and 8 core cpus a quad core is going to be like the dual core of yesterday and the dual core is gonna be like the single core of yesterday...
In any case what I'm saying is go with the c2q, you'll get more multitasking power with it...and when working with music and audio you need that power...
vst plugins and audio effects like to take up cpu power so the more cpu power the
bigger projects you'll be able to play and record at a low latency...
if you go with dual core, big projects will eat the cpu power like crazy and will
only let you use a higher latency...but a quad core cpu will allow you to play big projects at a lower latency...that's my recommendation

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
yup, exactly...don't even consider going with c2d, unless of course you don't have the money for a quad core...but if you have the money and the possibility go with the quad core...
lol...my word is said...

anonomys1991

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
well i was just wondering. mainly because im new to the computer world and i didn't know if pro tools is threaded for four cores or not beause if its not why get the quad core if i dont really need it. so is pro tools threaded for a quad core and how many cores is it threaded for?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

I think this is up to the individual person and what they are doing. Most apps will not take advantage of multiple cores, so whatever your main app is would run about as well on a single core machine. Granted there are apps such as video processing that will use multiple cores, and there are other things going on in your computer. At one time there was a tradeoff in clock speed- you could run a dual core cpu faster than you could run a quad core. For instance I have a quad core at home running 3.4GHz and a dual core at work that runs 3.8GHz. For my apps that only use one core, the dual core is faster. And the other tradeoff, that we still have to some extent, is cost. The quad core will be more expensive than the dual core.

At work I run the dual core and it is plenty of cores for what I do. I can have apps running in the background doing file backups or background plotting and I can still use the machine without much slowdown, but sometimes I detect some slowdown. At home on my quadcore I can run a full virus scan and do other things in the foreground and never know the virus scan is running.

Based on my experience at home I would suggest getting quad cores whenever you can. For instance if it is just a matter of a slightly higher cpu cost, then get the quad core. But if you are buying a laptop and a preconfigured desktop and the one you select is only a dual core, then it may not make that much difference to you. I do feel strongly about at least 2 cores though. I wanted a netbook for a long time but didn't want a single core processor so I bought a 13" machine with dual core ultra low voltage cpu.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
pro tools is multi-threaded...it will take you what you give it...
that's why they make the mac studio computers (normally mac pros)
with intel xeons...for the most power...
any big production program for music or video these days is multi-threaded...
and I know that protools is multi-threaded...so go with the quadcore...