Sign in with
Your question

750TX Corsair + Air Cooling. Quick Question

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2009 9:33:25 AM

So, I've never had the luxury of having a PSU with a fan on the bottom, so I never put much thought into it when I got this one last summer. My case has holes above the PSU. I was wondering, am I supposed to put the PSU in upside down, so that the fan is near those holes? I'm not sure if that fan is intake or outake, and even if I knew which it was, I wouldn't know what kind of air its supposed to get. I just noticed those holes, and I became curious, thanks.
June 5, 2009 11:49:46 AM

The fan is outtake. No idea what case you have, but some allow you to put the PSU at the top and or bottom of the case.
if thats the case with yours then I would say the holes would be for a fan, with the PSU mounted on the bottom.
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2009 11:56:22 AM

No, the PSU deffintaly goes at the top, its just that above that on the case there are holes =/. Not sure why my signature isn't showing up... but here is my specs anyway...

|CPU| i7 920 |MOBO| Rampage II |RAM| 12GB, 6*2Gig GSkill DDR3 |GPU| EVGA GTX 260 x2 SLI
|HDD| 300GB VelociRaptor + 400GB Caviar |Sound| X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty |PSU| Corsair 750TX
|Case| MGE XCLIO A380BK |CPUCooling| Zalman CNPS 9000 |OS| Vista Ultimate

If the fan is outtake, and it will fit in that place upside down, shouldn't I have the air blowing out of the holes instead of onto the CPU heatsink? =/

EDIT - Here is the picture of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

Its the forth from left picture, you can see what I'm talking about.
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
June 5, 2009 3:18:18 PM

The TX750 psu fan is definitely an intake fan - It draws in air which passes through the interior of the psu and is blown out the rear panel. You have two choices when installing the psu. If there is a vent hole or perforated mesh, you could mount the psu so that the fan is next to the opening. The idea is the the psu fan sucks in cool air so that the psu cools itself. This works very well providing your case has adequate ventilation, air flow, and cooling for the rest of your components. The second option is to mount the psu so that the fan pulls in warm air from inside the case and exhausts it out the back. This works well if there is limited ventilation, airflow, and cooling for other components.
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2009 4:08:47 PM

The fan is an intake and hot air is exhausted out the grill on the back. In that case, your PSU should work in either orientation IF that hole/grill area at the top of the case is large enough to allow good airflow in.

Test it both ways if you are concerned.
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2009 11:54:40 PM

I'm not really worried, my case has amazing airflow, and all my components stay cool, I just didn't know if there was a way you were supposed to do it, thanks.
June 6, 2009 1:17:51 AM

Helltech said:
So, I've never had the luxury of having a PSU with a fan on the bottom, so I never put much thought into it when I got this one last summer. My case has holes above the PSU. I was wondering, am I supposed to put the PSU in upside down, so that the fan is near those holes? I'm not sure if that fan is intake or outake, and even if I knew which it was, I wouldn't know what kind of air its supposed to get. I just noticed those holes, and I became curious, thanks.

The bottom intake fan on the power supply pulls hot air away from the CPU, therefore is should face the CPU.
!