Sign in with
Your question

Temperature Problems

Last response: in Overclocking
October 7, 2010 11:40:37 PM

I just built my first computer and I have an i7 930. I was looking to overclock it from 2.8 ghz to 3.2 ghz. Before I made any changes, I downloaded Core Temp and Prime95 to test the current temperatures and this is where I ran into problems. My idle temperatures are around 45 C and my load temperatures in under 3 minutes of Prime95 were in the 80s. I would like to keep it below 75 C.

I am using the stock heatsink and fan that came with the i7. I figured maybe my temperatures were due to me messing up the already applied thermal compound on the heatsink. When I first installed it, I had to remove it again because I had the power cord for the fan in the wrong place.

Hoping this was the solution, I removed the old thermal compound and I applied this thermal compound: Xigmatek PTI G3606 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... This was the first time I applied thermal paste and I found various methods to applying it online, I ended up using the included spreader stick with the PTI and applied a thin layer across the CPU.

After booting up and running core temp, my idle temperatures are still around 45 C and I got the same result with Prime95, 80 C in just a few minutes.

Is this the best I can expect from the stock heatsink and fan? Am I applying the thermal compound incorrectly? Do you have any other solutions or ideas for my problem?

Thanks.

More about : temperature problems

a c 197 K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 9:43:18 AM

That's the best you can expect with the stock heatsink.

On the two latest generation Intel CPU's, the stock heatsink is good enough to run at stock frequency or, perhaps, the highest you can go without increasing your CPU voltage.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 4:59:47 PM

The temps are quite high, you may have applied the wrong thermal paste qty.
Is your fan running at 100 % ?
m
l
!