Video card installation problem

Pokota

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I have a problem with my PC display freezing up, especially when I play video. GPU and RAM stress tests turned out ok, so I assumed it was a Video Card problem. I look up the system description, and it says it's a GeForce 6200, so I order another one. Different brand, but it was all Newegg had. However, when I go to install it, I see that the old card had a power connection, while the new card does not. I try it anyway, but the monitor doesn't even recognize a signal.

I tried an older GeForce 5200 card, no signal to the monitor. It was working last time I used it, on another machine. I install the new 6200 card, no signal to the monitor. Neither of those cards has a power connection. The drivers should be the same, as far as I can tell.

Is there any way around this? Do I have to find an AGP card with a power connection?

Thank you in advance.

This is my original system information-

Processor ( [Socket-775] Intel® Pentium-4 Processor 640 [3.2GHz, 2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, 64-Bit + HT Ready] )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra Case Fans )
Motherboard ( [Socket 775] Asus P5P800 i865 Chipset w/LAN, 5.1 Sound, USB 2.0 8x AGP Motherboard )
Memory ( 1024 MB Dual Channel [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Geil or Major Brand )
Video Card ( Nvidia GeForce 6200 256MB w/DVI + TV Out 8x AGP Video )

The new 6200 can draw enough 12v power from the MB AGP slot to power the card. Apparently the old 6200 had an additional 12v power connector to provide a more stable power draw than the AGP slot alone. The new card will get enough 12v power from the MB slot if that is the design. So, no you do not 'need' a video card with external 12v power source. The 5200 will work in other machines, but not in your system in question? Sounds like a driver issue. I would use the old 6200 that works and get to the desktop. Load up the driver CD that came with the new 6200, that driver is tested to work properly with the card. Then shut down. Install the new 6200 and power on and see if the new driver loads up properly.

Pokota

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I reverted the driver back to the one that came on the CD bundled with the new 6200, and still no signal to the monitor. I don't know what to do.

Pokota

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
No, it doesn't have onboard video. At least, there are no other video connections on back, and the mobo description on Asus says nothing about it.

Are you connecting your monitor to the video card's DVI or D-sub connector? If you are transmitting the video signal from the video card to the DVI connector of the monitor, try using an adapter and connect to the monitors D-sub port. If that doesn't work, the new 6200 may be dead.

Pokota

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Update for the sake of any others who might experiance the same sort of problem --

Turns out it was my power source. When I disconnected the primary mobo power line, I noticed that a couple of the pins looked charred, so I bought a new PSU. It's running well so far, with no freeze-up. I believe that the video card just wasn't able to get enough juice; the one with the additional power connection got enough to last for a little while, but the cards witihout additional power weren't able to operate at all.

Thanks to everyone who replied.