Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • USB
  • Gigabyte
  • Windows XP
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 15, 2009 7:06:27 PM

I just completed my build yesterday. Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, Phenom II 720, 4GB Crucial DDR3-1333.

I installed Windows XP 32-bit to test everything out. Installed all service packs and updates. I installed the Gigabyte motherboard drivers from the supplied CD.

When I plug in a 2.0 USB device it tells me that it'd be faster if I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port. It doesn't matter if I plug in from the header USB port on the MB (through front of the case) or the rear USB ports on the mobo. So, I'm not running USB 2.0 I assume. The Hardware Profile page in XP has a "?" over Other Devices and lists Universal Serial Bus (USB).

So, I'm trouble shooting what's wrong. Does it sound like I'm just missing a proper driver or something? I'm wondering if there's be any hardware issue. Like, if I have a USB mouse plugged in it'll default all USB to 1.1 or maybe some BIOS setting needs to be updated?

Thanks for reading.

More about : install usb usb

August 15, 2009 7:22:19 PM

It does sound like it's missing the driver. The driver should be installed with windows updates. Try manually having windows xp check for updates and choose the "custom" option.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 7:23:21 PM

Likely the USB device is not able to reach transfer rates Windows OS considers 2.0 worthy.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2009 7:24:14 PM

Agree with OG. Driver should be installed with windows updates.
m
l
August 16, 2009 6:13:05 PM

Figured it out. See, I installed from an XP 1.0 disk, pre SP1, pre everything. I did a manual update of the two "?" drivers from the Device Manager and vavoom, I'm rocking USB 2.0.

Thanks for the replies.
m
l
!