Help with BIOS settings

hudson

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
This is my first build, and my first time setting up any BIOS, and I can really use some help with my FSB, voltage, timing etc...

Here are my specs:

ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI (latest-1101 BIOS)
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz CPU (8.5 multiplier - 1333 bus speed)
GeForce 8800 GTS
PNY 8800 GT
4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 8500 (1066) memory (5-5-5-15 @2.1 Volts)
Coolmax RM 750W PSU
Seagate 500 GB HD

The computer wouldn't run for more than 10 - 15 minutes, even though the temperatures were well within range. It even froze in the BIOS for me once; all the fans would keep running, but the system would just hang. To try and find a solution I put my old Dual core 6400 2.13 Ghz CPU, and everything runs great on that, but I don't want to give on topn the quad of course!. I've tested my memory with memtest86+ and passed, so it's either something needs to be set in my BIOS correctly, or a bad CPU by my understanding.

I've been reading up on FSB, which was at the auto (default) settings in my BIOS before. After doing a lot of reading on this, I'm still pretty lost, and can use some help.

Without overclocking, I think my best option would be to go with a 333 bus speed, but I'm not at all clear on this. Does anyone have any suggestions for me based on my specs?

hudson

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Yes I have checked my ram, the specs that I included above are whats recommended on the OCZ site, and I don't plan on overclocking, I'm just trying to stabilize my system for now.
Thanks but, I'm running Coretemp to monitor my temperatures, which were fine when the Quad core was installed and are fine now, and I have CPU-Z and hardware monitor too.
I`ll worryabout the PSU later, for now I just want to test this by setting my BIOS manually, I hear the auto settings aren`t always reliable, but I`m not familiar with any of this, and was hoping that someone could recommend some ideal settings (namely for the FSB) to start with based on my hardware.