Sign in with
Your question

Vista x64 or Win7 x64 new machine

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2009 1:41:24 PM

I am building a new machine, in fact i am still tracking the order by ups as we speak, i have ordered vista x64 ultimate for system builders, but i have heard a lot of good things about win 7? any one have any input?
March 5, 2009 2:42:15 PM

I tried the windows 7 beta, and I can say, instant switch, it's just better all around, everything supported by vista works on 7, apparently it's lighter, I never really payed attention to RAM usage too much due to my system having 12GB. I did notice 7 used a few hundred less than vista at boot though.

Windows 7 isn't out yet though, and the Beta is closed, so you'll have to find it somewhere else online, or wait.
Related resources
March 5, 2009 2:47:29 PM

If you've already ordered everything, your kind of stuck. Unless you can get your hands on a copy of xp or something, your pc would be eye candy until windows7 is released.
March 5, 2009 2:48:08 PM

yea sure i'll wait or get it from the usual places
March 5, 2009 3:16:38 PM

depends how much ram your pc has, windows 7 can use more and generally uses less if you get what I mean.
Anonymous
March 5, 2009 3:19:31 PM

I'm a firm believer in waiting as much as a year before using the newest version of windows so they can work the bugs out.
March 5, 2009 3:22:29 PM

Well apparently they've already worked out a thousand of them in win7
March 5, 2009 3:22:45 PM

I'm in a similar position. Parts for a new computer are being shipped as we speak. For me I have a Q6600 CPU with 4GB Ram. I didn't order a OS yet, but have a copy of Windows 7 (64x) and a product key.

Is there any reason not to just install the Windows7 beta? Do I need to go ahead and get Vista as well to dual boot? What happens at the end of the Windows7 beta time period? Will I be able to purchase a real (OEM or Retail) version of 7 and have continuity with my system or will I need to do a fresh install?
March 5, 2009 3:29:43 PM

Microsoft will withdraw support for the beta around the time the full version comes out. You might find it stops working at that time also.
The betas normaly have a limited life, until MS has the info they wanted from testers etc...

I should think you would need a fresh install. That was the case with the vista beta.
March 5, 2009 3:46:33 PM

DieTheVillian said:
I am building a new machine, in fact i am still tracking the order by ups as we speak, i have ordered vista x64 ultimate for system builders, but i have heard a lot of good things about win 7? any one have any input?

Ignore it. Windows 7 isn't even retail yet so the rumors and speculation over how good or bad it will be aren't reality yet. Your Vista x64 is fine. I would wait at least six months after Windows 7 is out to evaluate it, remember how Vista when it first came out wasn't terribly impressive? Unless you want a system that's potentially unstable, I would stick to non-beta versions of operating systems.
March 5, 2009 3:55:11 PM

i've been running 7 x64 as my only OS since the public beta was released and it's been very stable. yeah it will expire on august first, but whatever. until then i'll have a great OS to use. and for the record, i was using vista x64 before and it worked fine.
March 5, 2009 4:31:16 PM

For those interested, here is a piece on RC1 of Windows 7.

!