Vista x64 or Win7 x64 new machine

I am building a new machine, in fact i am still tracking the order by ups as we speak, i have ordered vista x64 ultimate for system builders, but i have heard a lot of good things about win 7? any one have any input?
12 answers Last reply
More about vista win7 machine
  1. bumpity
  2. I tried the windows 7 beta, and I can say, instant switch, it's just better all around, everything supported by vista works on 7, apparently it's lighter, I never really payed attention to RAM usage too much due to my system having 12GB. I did notice 7 used a few hundred less than vista at boot though.

Windows 7 isn't out yet though, and the Beta is closed, so you'll have to find it somewhere else online, or wait.
  3. If you've already ordered everything, your kind of stuck. Unless you can get your hands on a copy of xp or something, your pc would be eye candy until windows7 is released.
  4. yea sure i'll wait or get it from the usual places
  5. depends how much ram your pc has, windows 7 can use more and generally uses less if you get what I mean.
  6. I'm a firm believer in waiting as much as a year before using the newest version of windows so they can work the bugs out.
  7. Well apparently they've already worked out a thousand of them in win7
  8. I'm in a similar position. Parts for a new computer are being shipped as we speak. For me I have a Q6600 CPU with 4GB Ram. I didn't order a OS yet, but have a copy of Windows 7 (64x) and a product key.

Is there any reason not to just install the Windows7 beta? Do I need to go ahead and get Vista as well to dual boot? What happens at the end of the Windows7 beta time period? Will I be able to purchase a real (OEM or Retail) version of 7 and have continuity with my system or will I need to do a fresh install?
  9. Microsoft will withdraw support for the beta around the time the full version comes out. You might find it stops working at that time also.
    The betas normaly have a limited life, until MS has the info they wanted from testers etc...

I should think you would need a fresh install. That was the case with the vista beta.
  10. DieTheVillian said:
    I am building a new machine, in fact i am still tracking the order by ups as we speak, i have ordered vista x64 ultimate for system builders, but i have heard a lot of good things about win 7? any one have any input?

Ignore it. Windows 7 isn't even retail yet so the rumors and speculation over how good or bad it will be aren't reality yet. Your Vista x64 is fine. I would wait at least six months after Windows 7 is out to evaluate it, remember how Vista when it first came out wasn't terribly impressive? Unless you want a system that's potentially unstable, I would stick to non-beta versions of operating systems.
  11. i've been running 7 x64 as my only OS since the public beta was released and it's been very stable. yeah it will expire on august first, but whatever. until then i'll have a great OS to use. and for the record, i was using vista x64 before and it worked fine.
  12. For those interested, here is a piece on RC1 of Windows 7.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build X64 Windows Vista Systems