Raid 0 problem

asmodyus

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I have 2 WD 320gb HD's in a raid 0 setup, (non boot raid) when windows 7 loads it says it needs to scan the disk because of data corruption or something to that effect. Scans to 7% show some bad sectors and unreadable sectors than freezes the machine.

If I skip it and load windows the raid drives show up fine I can even click on the drive see my files, look at my pictures, but as soon as I get into copying or access large amounts of data or any program on there it causes the machine to freeze for 10 seconds unfreeze and freeze again for 10 seconds or so, kinda of this weird loop that goes on until I reboot. It will also cause my video card to crash if I let the looping go on.

Now if I try to use any kind of scan disk program or recovery program it does the whole freeze loop or just freezes the computer. So basically I have limited to no accessibility of data and cannot use anything to recover it because it freezes the machine if it tries..

Is there any other way of getting my data off of there? I take the raid is bad or one of the drives is bad. If I only load one drive I cannot read it to see if one of the drives is bad. or is the raid itself corrupted and if I erase the partition and redo the raid will the drives work and could I maybe recover the data from an erased partition if the drive or physically not bad?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Not 100% clear on your computer set up. Tell us more about your system, computer, CPU, MB, RAM, Video card, HDD's Primary HDD, its partitions, ect.

Sounds like you have a separate Basic Simple Volume HDD containing the Win-7 OS, with the RAID-0 using 2 physical drives as a separate secondary volume?

Have you tried unplugging the power to the two RAID-0 drives and see if Win-7 functions normally? Since data is stripped across both physical drives in a RAID-0 configuration, you can't remove one drive and expect it to work.

If you can boot up to Win-7, and see files on the RAID-0, consider copying that data ASAP to a separate regular HDD, like an external USB connected drive, and even if you have to copy them by folders, make a backup so your data isn't completely lost if the RAID array completely dies.

asmodyus

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Yes it's a Separate Volume from my HDD that has windows on a Core 2 Duo, MSI 730i. The issue is that when I try to copy anything large or say try to read, scan or even attempt to try to fix the drives it cause the loop freeze and will pretty much crash the machine.

When it boots up windows will try to run a scandisk but will only get to 7% before crashing.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Need to be really clear about your set up. Do you have Win-7 on a SEPARATE HDD.? Completely separate from the two RAID-0 drives? That you have 3 HDD's on you system, two for the RAID, and one for Windows-7? Trying to determine if your problem is with a HDD, Win-7 and its supporting files, or the RAID-0 volume or drivers. If so unplug the power cable from the two RAID-0 drives and see if your system runs OK.

How many MB of data do you have on the RAID-0 volume that need to be copied to a stable disk, and where have you tried to copy that data, an external hard drive, or your system drive? Also have you tried to copy a folder, then paste it to your backup drive? Worth a try

You might also see if Chkdsl /r was more successful, which should move recover data from bad sectors.

asmodyus

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Sorry 3 drives 1 for windows 7, 2 in a raid 0 for storage and gaming. I of course upnplugged the raid 0 and the system runs fine it's trying to get to figure out what wrong.

Like I said basically windows 7 boot up scan disk will come up with unreadable sectors goes to 7% freezes. If I boot straight into windows 7 everything is fine soon as I try to access Drive D: which is the 2 HDD in raid 0 it's fine at first. Soon as I start reading, or trying a program from Drive D: starts the whole freeze unfreeze and freeze loop that will cause my display drivers to fail and keep the comptuer in the loop state.

with the raid 0. now you said Chkdsl /r in command prompt ? or command prompt from cd and than try to run chkdsl?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi again,

Need to figure out if the problem is with the RAID-0 volume or your Win-7 system volume. Disconnect the power from both the RAID disks, leaving only the Win-7 functioning. Boot up to the desktop directly like you do, Open Computer, right click on the icon of your C:\ OS drive and click on properties. That should bring up a C:\ properties dialog box. Click on the Tools tab, choose Error Checking and click Check Now. In the Check Disk options, check both automatically fix system errors, and scan for an attempt recovery of bad sectors. This is the GUI way of running Chkdsk.

This will be checking your system HDD, & hopefully it will be clean, or move data off any bad sectors. Possibly it will clear the startup Chkdsk.

asmodyus

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Just wanted to let you know I did everything you said and separated the boot up with the raid and without the raid. Found out that one of the raid HDD was bad so I lost all the data that was on that drive but was able to recover some of the data from the other drive using recovery program.

Thanks for the help