Sign in with
Your question

I5-760 temps

Last response: in Overclocking
October 8, 2010 12:25:50 PM

so i have am totally new to overclocking. I used cpu-level up to go from 2.8 stock speeds on my i5-760 to 3.36. I used intel burn test to make sure i was stable. After 5 laps the highest temps i saw were 75C. i was wondering if this is stable enough. Keep in mind im not trying to go for 4Ghz on my processor, just trying to go from standard 2.8 to maybe 3.4 or 3.6. so my first question is whether or not 75C maximum temps is too hot?

i5-760
Zalman 9500 (AS5 paste)
gtx480
4 gigs GSkill 1600
ASUS maximus gene iii mobo.

More about : 760 temps

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 12:37:56 PM

Your best bet is to do some reading, then overclock manually. Auto setting tend to use more voltage than necessary, effectively putting more strain on the computer.

Anyway... I would try to keep the temperature to 70c while testing/benching, and 60c or below for 24/7 operation.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 1:08:43 PM

ur temps are not too far off.......lastnight i finished my MINI ITX "Project Toaster" gaming rig and pushed my i5 a lil bit with Gigabytes overclocking utility on the "twin turbo" mode just to see what it will do......my set up is

Intel i5-661 3.33GHz (OC to 4.16GHz)
CoolerMaster V6GT
Artech Silver5
Gskill 1333 4GB
PNY GTS250 1Gb

here i saw tems none over 67* after running Prim95 for about 4hrs
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2010 1:15:25 PM

tx-jose said:
ur temps are not too far off.......lastnight i finished my MINI ITX "Project Toaster" gaming rig and pused my i5 a lil bit with Gigabytes overclocking utility on the "twin turbo" mode just to see what it will do......my set up is

Intel i5-661 3.33GHz (OC to 4.16GHz)
CoolerMaster V6GT
Artech Silver5
Gskill 1333 4GB
PNY GTS250 1Gb

here i saw tems none over 67* after running Prim95 for about 4hrs

do you think it is within grasp for me to OC my 760 to 3.6 with me zalman 9500 heatsink?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 1:41:14 PM

iamnewhere said:
do you think it is within grasp for me to OC my 760 to 3.6 with me zalman 9500 heatsink?

looking at the heat sink (i had to look up witch one it was cause i wasn't sure) it looks like it has 6 heat pipes total coming from the base. my V6GT has 6 on each side so 12 in total. As for temps like it was said above as long as its 70* C when ur testing/benchmarking you will be ok. as long as idle temps are around the 50s you will be good. If you do want to push it further on the overclocking i suggest you upgrade your thermal paste to artic silver 5 thermal compound as it has done wonders for my PCs and laptops that i have upgraded. If you want to go further on your overclocking ventures i would suggest a larger and more efficient CPU cooler. the V6GT is loud but it gets the job done no question about it....has 2 120mm fans that each blows about 93CFM.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 1:46:34 PM

Well the general idea is... If you keep the temperatures around or below 70c at 100 percent load, then the cpu will be in the "safe" zone for 24/7 operation. You'll never approach prime95 load temps even when hardcore gaming or video encoding.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 1:55:40 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Well the general idea is... If you keep the temperatures around or below 70c at 100 percent load, then the cpu will be in the "safe" zone for 24/7 operation. You'll never approach prime95 load temps even when hardcore gaming or video encoding.

this is true....you will never max out your processor at 100% load while gaming or video editing. Although how LONG you run at 75* could in the long run shorten the lifespan of your processor. always remember... the cooler the better. any little thing you can do to knock off a few degrees do it! lol what case are you running? how many fans? what size? CFM? overall case setup and room tems also play a factor in your overall PC temps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2010 2:05:45 PM

tx-jose said:
this is true....you will never max out your processor at 100% load while gaming or video editing. Although how LONG you run at 75* could in the long run shorten the lifespan of your processor. always remember... the cooler the better. any little thing you can do to knock off a few degrees do it! lol what case are you running? how many fans? what size? CFM? overall case setup and room tems also play a factor in your overall PC temps.

^+1 The lower the better. remember heat kills your cpu faster (not like you're gonna see a difference between years andmore years, but figuratively speaking xD).
m
l
October 8, 2010 3:42:57 PM

i am using Arctic Silver 5 right now, however, i just set my heatsink on last night, so i need to give it some time before i see it work to its max potential, i think it was like 200 hours or something before the thermal compound is broken in. would it be worth it to try re-setting my heatsink a couple times to see if it makes a difference?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2010 4:07:19 PM

iamnewhere said:
i am using Arctic Silver 5 right now, however, i just set my heatsink on last night, so i need to give it some time before i see it work to its max potential, i think it was like 200 hours or something before the thermal compound is broken in. would it be worth it to try re-setting my heatsink a couple times to see if it makes a difference?

that as well i would let it set...make sure you covered the processor evenly. Their is such thing as too much but it will only spew off to the sides. just make sure you wipe it off if that does happen cause silver IS conductive lol. let it set and break in....mine set for the duration of win 7 install before i overclocked it lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2010 4:21:01 PM

iamnewhere said:

Ok, personally i don't think that zalman was the best choice for your i5. Considering this zalman seems to have been aimed mainly toward AMD cpu's (from what i've seen). I would strongly suggest you replace it with another one if possible.

Maybe something like This
or This lol

A simple suggestion, there's better. But in my opinion, the more heat pipes the better :p .

iamnewhere said:

It takes a while for it to break in, but you usually see results right away. I always use AS5 (been using it for years), i see temps drop 5c-15c on average right after installations. Make sure that when you applied it correctly. Use something with a flat surface (like a credit card) and slowly spread it out evenly across the cpu. Alot of people just put a blob in the middle and let the heat sink spread it. I'd rather not do that =L.

tx-jose said:
that as well i would let it set...make sure you covered the processor evenly. Their is such thing as too much but it will only spew off to the sides. just make sure you wipe it off if that does happen cause silver IS conductive lol. let it set and break in....mine set for the duration of win 7 install before i overclocked it lol

yup. i can vouch for that xD.
m
l
!