Sign in with
Your question

Booting computer, but no display just a black screen

Last response: in Memory
August 15, 2009 8:18:52 PM

Hi,
i have recently been having a problem with my computer. I was having problems with updating a program which is for my logitech mouse which was something related to my registry. After the reboot from the install i was i waS using the computer for a few minutes then i get a blue screen and a mesage saying " PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". I just turned it off then booted up again but to find that my pc turns on ok (eg all the components turn on) but i do not get a display come up on my moniter, just a black screen. usually at startup there would be a single beep from the mobo but now there isnt. aswell as this problem i also had issue with the pc restarting itself randomly.

i dont think this is a problem relating to my moniter as it is quite new and i have been using it with no problems

I have been reading around and havent come to a definate answer.

I have seen people saying stuff like "taking the mobo battery out for a period of time to reset the bios"

do i need to clean the registry with a program? how do i do that coz i cant see the screen?:S
i have a few registry programs but usually use uniblue registry booster, it found a few errors before my last reboot but i chose to leave them and do them later. could it be these errors that cause the prob?

all info and possible solutions are much appreciated, :) 
a b } Memory
August 15, 2009 9:47:02 PM

Please list full system specs when asking for help. Include specifics, such as brand names and model numbers.

Describe in greater detail what noises you do hear when you turn it on. Do you hear the hard drive working as it would while booting?

Is the HDD activity light on or flickering?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-tro...

August 15, 2009 9:55:52 PM

The beep you normally hear means the system has successfully completed POST (power on self test) It's basically a sequence of procedures from the bios during wich all the installed hardware is initialised and made ready for use. At that time the system isn't reading anything from the hard drives. It can't have anything to do with the registry as that is part of the os and like i said the system does not ready any hdd wile posting, just detecting them.
I recommend you try resetting the cmos by removing the battery.
Related resources
August 15, 2009 10:55:06 PM

Proximon said:
Please list full system specs when asking for help. Include specifics, such as brand names and model numbers.

Describe in greater detail what noises you do hear when you turn it on. Do you hear the hard drive working as it would while booting?

Is the HDD activity light on or flickering?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-tro...

Asus p5e-vm-hdmi mobo
Intel quad core Q6600 - stock cooler
samsung spinpoint 1tb hdd
xfx geforce 9600gt grphx card
g-skill 2x2gb ddr2 ram
running win xp sp3

i have booted with the side of the case off and yes hdd is working.
have been away from pc for 5 days so it has been switched off. Got back from my holiday and had some ms updates to do and a logitech setpoint update for my mouse.

i find that whilst its booted and i stop the cpu fan from moving then cut the power and boot again i will then get a display saying oveclocking failed, "press f1 to configure bios.... and f2 to continue with normal setting" from here i can get into safe mode etc . and normal windows for a while before it freezes.
a b } Memory
August 15, 2009 11:14:04 PM

I think the BIOS reset would be a fine place to start. If you are still having troubles see if the Windows disk will boot up and run a repair.
August 16, 2009 10:10:31 AM

Proximon said:
I think the BIOS reset would be a fine place to start. If you are still having troubles see if the Windows disk will boot up and run a repair.

so take out the cmos battery for a period of time, and if that doesnt work boot from disc and try to repair windows?

ty for answering
a b } Memory
August 16, 2009 1:07:53 PM

What brand of power supply do you have?
August 16, 2009 2:23:52 PM

jsc said:
What brand of power supply do you have?

would the power supply be affecting it? i have been using my computer for like 8 months and has been fine all the time
1000 watt modular psu, not sure which brand , will check later
August 17, 2009 12:41:55 PM

Proximon said:

seems that i have ram problems. recieved an error message "0x0000001a memory _management". would u agree?
a b } Memory
August 17, 2009 6:41:14 PM

Well, memory management would be the board, not the RAM.

Did you reset the BIOS?

You can try each stick individually to see if it improves.
August 17, 2009 6:49:51 PM

Proximon said:
Well, memory management would be the board, not the RAM.

Did you reset the BIOS?

You can try each stick individually to see if it improves.

No i havent reset the bios yet , Have currently got 1 stick of ram in and i am using the computer now although earlier it didnt seem to matter what stick was in it just wouldnt work. I havent turned the computer off yet as i fear it may go back to how it was and not turn on with a display again lol , have been on it for a couple of hours and it hasnt blue screened, restarted itself or frozen.

will eventually turn it off and see what happens. If it goes back to how it was before should resetting the bios be the next step ??
a b } Memory
August 17, 2009 9:22:56 PM

Yes.
August 18, 2009 2:49:31 PM

Ive had 2 cases of bad Ram in the last 2 weeks or so. this what ur discribing sounds very familiar

Bad memory will throw all kinds of Bsods as I found out... Its was the main cause of all my freezes, Bsods, and even CTDs, and I was blaming Vista all the time. and dont forget, if its corrupting data as it passes it along, ur registry will and files will become corrupt aswell. best thing to do is Make a Bootable Memtest86+ Disk. download the Files

http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.is...

Open up with WinZip (Free Download)

http://www.winzip.com/downauto.cgi?o=1&file=http://down... email&idl=n

And you will see an Image File... Nero Can copy that Image to a Blank CD (nero is also free)

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero9-trial.php

Then restart and enter the Bios. Go to the Boot priority page and make it boot from CD. Its the best way to test RAM without windows getting in the way... and no BSOD's

1 more tip. Lable ur RAM. and try each stick in each slot and wait for a few passes of memtest. Ull get errors when you put the bad stick in. And if you dont... try dual channel and memtest again.

Other Bsods U may get are the likes of these:-

0x000000 9f/0A/C2/3b/24/4e/8E/7E/1a the list is honestly endless but to think of what Failing memory actually is, then its not realy that suprising.
August 18, 2009 3:48:09 PM

By the way, when U open the Zip file. Just double click on the Image file and it will bring nero up. you cant just copy and paste this file. Just thought id mention it because I hadnt a clue about this intill recently and wasted 3-4 disc trying different things. the Iso runs alot quicker than the windows version to. :) 
August 19, 2009 8:12:17 PM

CabbageGT said:
Ive had 2 cases of bad Ram in the last 2 weeks or so. this what ur discribing sounds very familiar

Bad memory will throw all kinds of Bsods as I found out... Its was the main cause of all my freezes, Bsods, and even CTDs, and I was blaming Vista all the time. and dont forget, if its corrupting data as it passes it along, ur registry will and files will become corrupt aswell. best thing to do is Make a Bootable Memtest86+ Disk. download the Files

http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.is...

Open up with WinZip (Free Download)

http://www.winzip.com/downauto.cgi?o=1&file=http://down... email&idl=n

And you will see an Image File... Nero Can copy that Image to a Blank CD (nero is also free)

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero9-trial.php

Then restart and enter the Bios. Go to the Boot priority page and make it boot from CD. Its the best way to test RAM without windows getting in the way... and no BSOD's

1 more tip. Lable ur RAM. and try each stick in each slot and wait for a few passes of memtest. Ull get errors when you put the bad stick in. And if you dont... try dual channel and memtest again.

Other Bsods U may get are the likes of these:-

0x000000 9f/0A/C2/3b/24/4e/8E/7E/1a the list is honestly endless but to think of what Failing memory actually is, then its not realy that suprising.

k thanks, how long does it take to get a few passes on memtest ?
August 19, 2009 8:36:11 PM

It didnt take to long for me(10-20 min per test).

If you test it with all your memory in. you will soon know if you have errors. 1 error is bad and you can pretty much finnish there.
Then try 1 stick on its own in all 4 slots.
You'll know an error when you see 1, its highlited in red along with the reason that its failed

If that stick fails in all 4 slots then the chances are, its faulty. But make sure you do the same with the other stick just to make sure that its not ur motherboard.

Make sure you use Memtest86+ on the bootable disc. the Memtest that runs of the desktop isnt very good and took ages for me and it still didnt find a single problem when testing individual sticks.

Some people say to leave memtest on all night. Im not sure if there refairing to the desktop version(Basically the desktop version doesnt get free reign on all the memory, as the OS needs to use it to. there for it take a few tests to get round to the bad few bits)

But personally if it passes afew times on the Bootable disc then consider it OK, I got errors on my RAM instantly and about 75000+ errors per test, all the other modules were fine, My computer has never been so stable.

Bear in mind that ur windows regerstry may now be corrupt. if the ram is faulty. But im not sure if the BSOD is to stop corrupt data being made in the first place. worth looking into. hope this helps
August 9, 2014 8:17:25 AM

just reading this post and I think you need to reset your bios as well just to be sure I had a similar problem reset bios battery and it was fixed and I was thinking it was my ram and it was not so it is a process of elimination you have to go thou good luck
!