Potential/Quality of the New AM3 Mobo????

jaypamps

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Well it looks like AMD is finally making some progress with the AM3 mobos. A few more have been released and AMD finally got a Quad Core processor the Phenom II X4 840 and 920s on an AM3 chipset.

My question however, is it worth it to invest in one of these? What is the projected longevity and practicality of these boards/cpus?

Its pretty clear that the i7 is a great CPU and the x58 chipset will last a long time (gettin an i7 will probably last you at least 3 years, may need a CPU or GPU upgrade but the board/RAM will probably last.)

But what about AM3? Currently AM3 still is only Dual Channel vs. tri channel (tho i have read reviews that the differences between single, dual, tri is negligable and its just price really. further input on this would be great)

I am looking to build a Gaming Rig that will also be used to FRAPS/make montages/videos for games. And I was debating gettin an i7 rig but realized the price would be fairly high for a system that may get dated faster then I hope for that price range.

However the AM3 and Phenom II X4 route is almost half the price, however will it still leave me as much future potential as an x58 would?

Also is it even worth it to upgrade now or should I wait until Windows 7 comes out and just build a system when windows 7 gets launched and see what the current benchmarks are at during that time?

Side info for my computer and parts to be carried over to next build (if applicable/able):
Gaming usage primarily (however I want it to last and not get dated quickly.)
Currently using a 22" LG LCD 2ms 8000:1 CR (1680x1050)
EVGA Geforce 9800GTX+ 1GB DDR3 Ram
Ultra LSP 750w PSU

any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

p.s. using newegg.ca I priced out a new AM3 system with mobo/cpu/4gb ddr3 1600 ram/ 750gb hdd/ CM690 Case for about 700$ CDN. I duno seemed a lot better then the 1100-1200 for an i7.

jumpnice

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I am not really following you here. AMD does not make MOBO's; they make chipsets. MOBO makers like Gigabyte and Foxconn and ASROCK/ASUS are making boards that are 'AM3' ready. This has to do with the pin array and forward thinking of AMD so that the AM2 morfd into the AM2+ and now the AM3. I am personally looking at spending the extra 20-30 bucks on my MOBO so that a year or two from now I can get an AM3 CPU while all the bagabone-moneybags are buying and burning what is newest then. I'm getting an AM2+ Phenom now and will watch what may come of the AM3's. :bounce:

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
well if the 925 has a 5GT/s fsb then it will beat the I7 920, maybe even the 940 because it's more the fsb that counts hence why the Phenom II 940's were losing to the I7 920 since the fsb was 3.6GT/s to 4.8GT/s.

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
personally id still go with the 940 phenom and an am2+ mobo, performance will be better and if your looking for longevity eh idk, they only have a 2.6 Quad am3 out right now, and its not black, you could just overclock the 940 to like 3.5 and beast that am3 out right now imo. it would be cheaper too. im sure you could put 1066 ram in it and oc it if you feel ram is really important.

jaypamps

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
the am2+ and the 940 are good but the thing is going with an AM3 socket allows me future upgrades and DDR3 ram for future use.

If i build a am2+ machine it has already hit its capped which is alreayd behind the curve of the i7.

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Imo buying first gen amd products hasnt been good, look at the phenom 1's i suppose ddr3 gen 1 boards wont perform as well as they could, i got an am2+ board and im putting a 940 in it soon, and also if your going amd your going to be behind the curve no matter what you pick.

Replacing this 7750X2...Its worked fine but i miss having a quad core.

You can put am3 cpus in an am2+ mobo anyways, just cant use ddr3, and i dont think ddr3 is fantastic and worth the extra money.

jaypamps

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Well I want to upgrade my rig. But i also hate upgrading it every 2-3 years. I want to try to get it to last 3.5-4

I know an i7 could PROBABLY do that

(ofc any rig will need some MINOR upgrades over 3-4 years but nothing major)

I feel an AM2+ and Phenom II setup is already capped and will require another major upgrade in maybe 2-3 years TOPS (correct me if i am wrong here tho)

So thats why. I know an i7 can maybe last that long now, but even then its still in the air, cuz of windows 7 etc and the i5 coming out. It is hard to predict the future, but an i7 gamble is about 1200$ for the components i need whereas a AM3 is maybe 700-800.

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
If you search amd intel roadmaps there is no info an anymore Huge cpu cores coming out soon, i thinik quad will last a while no matter what way you go.

Now that nehalem and the deneb are out it seems like amd intel are hitting server cpus now.