Help unlocking cores, asrock + phenom ii x2

danport

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
My recent build is an asrock 870 extreme3 MB, amd phenom ii x2 555 be, 4 gb (2x2) g.skills ripjaw ram 1600, and a nice aftermarket cooler. after putting the parts together it booted up and loaded win7 with nary a problem.
I was hoping to unlock the other 2 cores. The mother board has turbo ucc which tries to unlock them automatically with one button (x) on startup, but when i activate ucc the computer will not boot, freezes with a blank screen and i have to clear the cmos to boot.
I have tried bumping up the cpu voltage slightly, but that has not helped.
I assume this means the other cores are bad, but would like to try some more tweaking.
Can anyone help with suggestions for bios settings that might unlock the cores. I have limited experience with overclocking and bios, but not a complete noob.
Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
Dan

Solution
Might not be 100% intelligent and may need you to deactivate 1 core through the bios and run it as an X3. although with the PII X2's 2 faulty cores is unlikely but not impossible.

In the bios under the UCC settings (if its like Asus Core Unlocker) it will give you the option to activate it then pick the cores you want to activate, C00, C01, C02 or C03 (your good 2 should be on by default), try it with the 2 good ones plus one of the other 2 then reboot, reset if it fails to boot.

chrisiomuk

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Might not be 100% intelligent and may need you to deactivate 1 core through the bios and run it as an X3. although with the PII X2's 2 faulty cores is unlikely but not impossible.

In the bios under the UCC settings (if its like Asus Core Unlocker) it will give you the option to activate it then pick the cores you want to activate, C00, C01, C02 or C03 (your good 2 should be on by default), try it with the 2 good ones plus one of the other 2 then reboot, reset if it fails to boot.

Solution

danport

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks, Chrisiomuk. I am away from the computer until tomorrow morning. I did not see a way in the bios to activate individual cores. I will look again tomorrow and see if i can find those settings in the bios. if anyone is familiar with this bios and the settings i need, please advise.

danport

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Ok, in the bios there is the Asrock UCC. If I enable it the computer will not boot.
There is also a CPU Active Core Control.
It has 2 options, enable and disable.
If I enable CPU ACC, It only shows 2 cores, Core 0, Core 1.
It does not show the other 2 cores or give me the option of enabling the other 2 cores.
It does not have the option "All cores".
I can not find how to individually enable Core 2 and Core 3 to test the individual cores or possibly unlock to a 3 core cpu.
Here is a link to the manual:
http://download.asrock.com/manual/870%20Extreme3.pdf
on page 42 it describes the cpu acc, and says the default value is "all cores". I only have options of enable/disable as i mentioned above.
my bios is ver 1.6, which appears to be the latest.
perhaps i need to flash a new bios?

danport

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I downloaded and flashed the bios, ver 1.6, from the asrock web site.
No change in the options, I still do not have an option for "all cores"

aslayer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hey man.
i just build a system based on asrock 870. I seem to be having the EXACT same problem that you were. my BIOS does not show an "all cores" tab... only shows core0 and core 1 .
did you solve this problem..
thanks. Mark
markinbend@gmail.com