Question about Signal Strength for Direct TV

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 10, 2004 4:10:20 PM

If I understand it correctly when going for best strength signal to just
go to the transponder with the highest signal? Is that correct. Or is
there on specific transponder you should use based on your location? I
have found the higher range trasponder seems to get a better signal
(metered range), Can anyone tell me if I am wrong or what the proper
procedure is for getting the best signal. I have a directv dish with 3
LBMs. Thanks for any replies. At my age I seem to have a problem with
understanding the complexities of these new fangled devices. (Grin)

Lee
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:22:24 PM

"Lee Bray" <l.bray@comcast.net> wrote in message
| If I understand it correctly when going for best strength signal to just
| go to the transponder with the highest signal? Is that correct. Or is
| there on specific transponder you should use based on your location?

A good rule of thumb ... if the channels you want to watch are coming in fine
99% of the time, don't even worry about signal strength.

Different transponders carry different channels, so getting the best signal on
any one doesn't mean a lot. Depending on your setup, there are a lot of
variables, so it's difficult to guess what the specifics may be.
IIRC, odd and even transponders are different polarities, so adjusting for best
signal on adjacent transponders will help you get your skew balanced (rotation
angle of the lnb in it's mounting ring).
If there are multiple lnb's on your dish, there's even more variables to
optomize.

| At my age I seem to have a problem with
| understanding the complexities of these new fangled devices. (Grin)

As sattelite systems go, Dtv is pretty low complexity once it's properly
installed. There are cheaper alternatives, but the less you pay, the greater the
complexity. If you don't mind paying the monthly charges, you probably wouldn't
mind paying a professional to deal with the installation variables.

Or maybe you're like me and you want to learn all you can. I got rid of Dtv in
favor of Free to air tv. The complexity is way up, but I now get 30 times the
number of channels, and I buy the premium stuff for pennies on the dollar for
what Dtv charges for the exact same channel.

Most tv isn't worth watching. Now that I have 3000+ channels, there's a lot more
of it (not worth watching I mean ;-).

--
CWC