Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What do I need for my MacBook and my PC Desktop To Share a Monitor?

Last response: in Toms Network
March 19, 2011 4:45:15 PM

I'll try to be brief and concise. I just purchased a MacBook Pro, and already have a desktop PC with a 24" Samsung Synchmaster display.

The end goal would be to share the monitor between the PC and the Macbook - I'm envisioning some sort of A/B switchbox which would save me from having to get behind the monitor and switch out the cables every time I want to go between the two computers.

I believe I have all the necessary cabling (I've already played with doing a two display setup with the Macbook) and have ordered a bluetooth keyboard for the MacBook, but could use some direction and recommendations on the switchbox?

Best solution

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 19, 2011 9:26:45 PM

An USB KVM switch that supports Macs.
March 22, 2011 3:11:40 PM

Wouldn't it be a lot easier and cheaper to simply use remote desktop (e.g., VNC)? I use VNC on my primary desktop to manage all my other machines all the time, works great, and it's fast.

Using a laptop in particular further complicates a KVM since obviously the laptop is portable. So unless you also use a docking station, you'll be pulling cables/cords all the time. Ugg.

Also, most monitors support multiple inputs. Can't you just use different connections and toggle between them w/ the monitor's OSD?
Score
Related resources
March 28, 2011 11:58:17 PM

Best answer selected by Rolex John.
Score
March 28, 2011 11:59:05 PM

I got a KVM switch (NOT USB....it supports DVI). Thanks
Score
!