Graphics lag on a new pc!!!!!

Ryaz

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Hello i have recently built a new pc and im having a bit of trouble with some of the textures (changing to strange colours/ going invisible) and also i get some lag makes me have to press alt,ctrl del. I have installed all drivers and im not sure if it could be anything to do with compatability...
It only happens in games (cod4 Dow2 in perticular) and never in otherprograms / desktop

My rig is,
O/S: Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64bit
CPU: IntelCore2 Quad 2.5GHz Q8300
MOBO: ASUS P5Q3 iP45 S775
GPU: 896MB EVGA GTX260 216 SSC Edition
RAM: 2x2GB CorsairTwinX XMS3, DDR3 (1600) CAS 9-9-9-24, DHX
HDD: Internal: 250GB Hitachi x2 Sata RAID
External: 320GB Seagate Freeagent
PSU: 620w CoolerMaster RealPower M620Case: Xclio BlackHawk
Monitor: 19 LG W1952TQ Wide DVI-E
Accessories: Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder x6
Mouse: Microsoft Sidewinder x8
Speakers: Logitech X-230 2.1
Headset: Steelseries 5h V2 USB

I used a antistatic wristband

I will upload a youtube vidio soon so u can see what i mean.

Thnx and i hope anyone has any idea what it could be

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Sounds like 3D graphics artifacts issue to me, which would point to the video card.

A few things to check:

1. Current nVIDIA driver: Current release is 182.08
2. Patches for the games: CoD4 has been patched to v.1.7 (can't find a patch for Dawn of War 2)
3. Video card heat. Load up a game and make the error occur, then check the GPU temp, preferably with software (nTune's Monitor should work, GPUZ is another excellent option) for an actual temperature. Anything above 75C would be an indicator that it's probably getting too hot. You could try running the games in Windowed mode with nTune's Monitor running to watch the temp.

It could simply be the overclocking on the card. Sometimes manufacturers sell those OC'd cards and they can't actually handle it (less common with eVGA, though). You could use nTune to de-tune (turn down the core and memory speeds) the card and see if that helps.

You might just have a bad card. All manufacturers make the occasional one.

Lastly, make sure you register the card with eVGA as soon as possible. You only have 30-days from date of purchase to get the lifetime warranty on their AR suffixed cards. Otherwise, all you get is 1-year of coverage.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
You can use EVGA precision that is pretty good to monitor GPU temp and control gpu fan. Just need to sign in with evga (free and takes 1 minute) to download from the site.

I have BFG cards and i use EVGA precision ;)

During games, the vga card works harder, drawing more power and generating heat.

Possible problems are:

1) Power.
Are all the needed connections securely plugged in?
Is the psu suspect?
2) Heat.
How hot is the vga card under load?
Is the vga card fan turning? Does it speed up under load?
Is case cooling adequate?
Run with the side cover off, and direct a house fan at the innards to insure good case cooling.
3) Bad vga card.
Does reducing the overclock resolve the problem?
RMA if necessary. EVGA support should be good.

Ryaz

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
ye i ahev all the latest drivers, i havnt had a chance to look see if heat is a problem but the case i have Xclio blackhawk has 4 190mm fans and 1 massive one on the side, but heat may be an issue i have contacted EVGA and sent them a picture off what it does (texture/colour messup) and i will see what they say...
i will update this thread when i hear back from them.

thnx