Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good deal?

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2009 5:59:08 PM

I am looking to build a new PC, but came across this. I am afraid of bargains, but it looks like a good deal. What do you think?

AMD Phenom X4 9500 2.20ghz Socket AM2+ Retail Processor
(4) Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.B Hard Drives
2 Pieces of Kinston 2048mb PC5400 DDR2 Memory
Asus M2N68-AM ATX Motherboard
Thermaltake Element S ATX mid-T Case
Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply

All for 699.99

I will have to buy a graphics card on top of the total.

I am going to be using this PC for 3d animation, I just don't know if this is going to give me what I need to be able to run applications like Zbrush, Maya, and Photoshop.

More about : good deal

March 5, 2009 6:44:59 PM

I wouldn't get that one. The CPU is not very good, cheap mobo...You can do better building it yourself.
March 5, 2009 6:47:55 PM

Well I can tell you this much, I'm no expert in anyway, that phenom was AMD's first attempt at quad core and they were buggy. Im not sure the extent of the bug or how it affects the cpu. The MB is an older chipset not sure how great it is. Im not sure of the quality of Hitachi drives but that is alot of space. The Ultra PSU is not considered quality either. If it were me I would rather get higher quality components. I bought a cheap MB once and regretted it. I had to replace it 9 months later.
Related resources
March 5, 2009 7:01:34 PM

Nope. Mediocre cpu. Very slow ram. Poor quality MB and psu.
March 5, 2009 7:07:38 PM

Don't get it.
March 5, 2009 8:13:43 PM

Yeah, I was getting the same feeling, but I haven't upgraded my computer in over 4 years now. Thank you all for you help!
March 5, 2009 9:21:18 PM

If you want help upgrading your system, let us know what you need and your budget and we can find you a much better deal.
March 5, 2009 10:44:02 PM

you could do a lot better than that for $700. as the kid already said, tell us your budget, your needs, and the nice members of this forum will help you put together a great build :) 
March 6, 2009 3:59:14 AM

The Quadzilla was a bargain, this is what I would rather get..

I am looking at a price range around $1000-$1500 dollars. I just started to build this today. It still needs a case, Vista 64bit, and a 1000W power supply for the crossfire cards and maybe some sort of cooling system or extra fans?

EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 X2 100251SR Video Card

So far this is up to a little more than $1,200. This would be the most ideal for what I need the computer for. What do you think, any better deals for i7's out there? Would ATI cards work well with the EVGA motherboard?

March 6, 2009 5:06:07 AM

Well do you need that GPU? I mean in your OP you didn't say gaming was a priority...if it isn't then you can go with a cheap 4650 or something. What size is the monitor you will use? you only need that GPU if you are using 1920x1200 res and gaming in the most intense games.
March 6, 2009 12:35:50 PM

Looks like you need a workstation graphics card, not a gaming graphics card. Check out this article from the tom's home page. It says that this card, even though most specs are the same, absolutely kills the 4870, and it also shows some stats that show getting a gaming card for maya, etc is not a good shortcut:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-firepro-v8700,2...
March 6, 2009 10:34:20 PM

^True that, but it depends on if OP's doing pro-level animations or just normal CAD/3D for school. For non-pro stuff a normal GPU will do. Also you can softmod some normal gaming cards to workstation cards.

7777th Post!
March 7, 2009 7:16:12 PM

I am about to get my undergraduate degree, so I am trying to prepare for either portfolio school or freelancing. I have herd the workstation cards are not really worth the price tag so far unless I am creating a lot of pro level work. I have been through a few forums suggesting a good gaming card can be just as useful for personal work. I will be doing some casual gaming also, so a decent GPU to be able to run my applications and games smoothly would be awesome. The newegg combo, Video card & CPU, looked like a good deal, but I am really not sure what SLI would gain.
March 7, 2009 7:23:54 PM

I will be using two monitors, my main is a 22" Samsung 226bw, and my secondary is Sceptre 19". Both DVI compatible. My sceptre is currently VGA, but I would like to get them both running DVI together, so I don't have color and quality differences.
March 7, 2009 7:27:26 PM

You can softmod a GPU to use the OpenGL drivers and function as a workstation card, I can't remember where I saw it, but there are guides that will show you how to do it. Most Workstation cards just use the same GPU that gaming cards have but their firmware makes them far more productive. I would just get a good gaming card and try softmodding it. If you can't softmod it, then just use it for gaming. I think that Nvidia cards tend to work better for this, but I'm not sure on that either. A lot of the strain will be on the CPU anyways, so the biggest performance increase will be seen if you just overclock the CPU.
March 7, 2009 7:47:07 PM

Yea, I will OC the CPU a little. I just read the article about the FirePro and after checking out the price, there is no way I will be able to afford an extra grand on top of the new parts, but at least I can consider it in the future.

I have herd that you cannot play games on workstation GPU's. Why is this?
March 7, 2009 7:56:56 PM

It looks like soft modding a GeForce to a Quadro does not gain a significant performance jump for Maya but it does for 3dsmax. After reading the performance scores, it looks like ATI cards work better with Maya and Nvidia cards work better with 3dsmax. I will only be using Maya, and Zbrush for my 3d work, so I think I will stay with ATI unless I find more articles stating otherwise.
March 7, 2009 7:59:26 PM

^You can actually game on them, but it will be slow in most games compared to a gaming card as the way drivers are written is way different.
March 7, 2009 8:11:08 PM

Gaming cards are good at gaming and poor at productivity work, and workstation cards are good at productivity and poor at gaming. Both will be able to do the other, but the drivers they have optimize them for their intended purposes. And yes, its the drivers that make the difference, that's what I meant by firmware, not bios settings.
!