Can't update ati driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pale

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I have an ATI HD 3850 running on windows 64bit ultimate.

I recently updated my drivers from here. After updating i launched l4d, when i tried to launch it i got a message telling me my display driver was out of date. The message said that my current version was 8.5 and the new one was 9.3, but when i go to the download page here. I download the software and try to install, it says my display driver is already up to date and version 8.5. Yet i still get the message that my display driver is out of date upon launching left 4 dead.

Does anyone know why i can not update to version 9.3?

Pale

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Already tried. Nothing...

But thanks for the reply.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
1. download driver cleaner and install it. http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138459-driver-cleaner-pro.html
2. uninstall ATI drivers from control panel and I mean everything related to the ATI driver (CCC, Hydravision, WDM, Uninstall, etc.)
3. go to run, type msconfig and click enter, go to boot tab, check mark "safe boot", please ok, and close. restart the computer.
4. now you are in safe mode. now open driver cleaner. select "multiple cleaning filters" and check mark in each box that relates to your card. (usually ATI, ATI CCC, ATI HydraVision, ATI Uninstall Utility, and ATI WDM) and click start for it to run. it should take about 5-10 minutes.
5. go to run, type msconfig and click enter, go to boot tab, uncheck mark "safe boot", please ok, and close. restart the computer.
6. now you should be able to boot into windows and install the new ATI drivers.
7. after installing new drivers. restart computer.

P.S. if uninstalling from the control panel doesn't work. you need to open the 8.5 driver and uninstall from that.

Pale

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Did it.

But it still wants to install 8.5

But thanks for the help.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
That makes no sense. If youre downloading and running the package for 9.3, then its 9.3.

Not calling you a liar, but what youre saying makes no sense.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

+1 spathotan

It makes no sense that it "only" wants to install 8.5 drivers. If you followed my directions step by step. You would not have any of the ATI registries, ATI folders, or any old ATI driver files left on your computer. Then you would have a clean install of the 9.3 drivers on your system without any errors or conflicts. "It would be like your old ATI drivers were never installed on your computer in the first place...."

I have uninstalled my old 8.7 drivers from my ATI HD 3850 2 weeks ago and installed the 9.3 drivers just fine. Also, I have given these directions to several people in this forum and it solved all their problems (from unstable CCC, to drivers not updating, still having old drivers, etc.)

Pale

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
When i go to the device manager, right click on the video card, select properties, and view the driver tab, it says version 8.591.0.0 and a release date of 2/25/2009

Can anyone explain this to me?

Is this the driver packaging version, if so why does the release date from the device manager say 2/25/09 and the one on the ATI website say 3/18/09?

What i have done:

1. Download the driver cleaner from the link provided.
2. Booted in safe mode and ran the cleaner for everything that had ATI in its name.
3. The application hung, because after an hour it was still not finished.
4. I purchased DriverCleaner.Net (The .NET edition) (Repeated step 1 with .NET version, because of step 3)
5. Downloaded the latest updates for it.
6. Booted in safe, ran again, and ran outside of safe as well.
7. Went to driver download page and downloaded driver.
8. Installed driver.

Thanks for all the help.

gunz77

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
As long as you uninstall the old driver remove all ati related software, and reinstall the new driver you should be fine.

anonymous0492

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I am having the same problem and find this topic to be very informative and appreciate the information in advance. However, I do want to say that even though a person may have a solution to a problem, their solution may not be the case. Not saying there is a lack of knowledge here on computers, I am just saying don't jump to the conclusion that something someone says doesn't make sense because it did not go right along the grain with your experience over the years or whatever span of time. I do not mean to be a "keyboard warrior" here, I'm just saying that has happened plenty of times where someone needs help and is not getting it because what they are saying is "stupid" or they didn't follow the "exact directions".

Status
Not open for further replies.