aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Hi guys,

I got everything and finally finished assembling the tower. It looks cool. Really happy with the performance. Thanks to all your suggestions.

One issue i faced was that the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 cooler wasn't staying stable and kept falling over because of it's size and weight. The base wasn't able to keep it steadily held into the motherboard. I was very gentle with the setup and especially carefull mounting this fan on the processor. Finally i took it off and placed my stock fan which came with the processor.

Right now the bios shows normal temp for GPU and board (i.e Around 30 to 45 deg). But CPU was at 75 to 80 deg. I am at work right now. I will go back home and update the temperature of the CPU after a quick restart. I left it running since yesterday. Is this temp normal for a Q9650.

Please advice. Thanks

Please refer to this link for my previous thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261525-31-build-please-advice

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
It doesn't sound like you purchased a backplate for the Xigmatek S1283, which is something I consider to be a necessity for any good cooler. Buy this, It will solve your attachment problem:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019

75 is fairly high, especially if you are running at stock speeds. You did apply thermal grease right? Make sure you applied the heatsink correctly, it doesn't sound like you did to me. Apply a small thin layer of thermal grease to the top of the processor and then apply the heatsink. If you don't have any thermal grease, then buy this with that backplate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020

You also need to make sure to follow the directions very closely. The push-pins need to be turned the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows. It's easiest to install the cooler with the motherboard outside the case on a non-conductive surface so you can ensure all four pins fully seat.

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
no wonder the entire thing fell off and i freaked out that i did something wrong.....well i will try to get hold of this XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket soon...

For the time being when i get back, i will remove the stock fan and apply the thermal liquid which i bought....i saw a 3 small strips of grey paste under the fan ....which was defined on one of the previous forums as "READY to go Setup for FAN and Thermal paste combo".... So i didn't apply anymore....

Should i scrape of that grey paste and just put the Good quality one which i purchased?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Definitely get the backplate ASAP. The heat problem isn't related to the Intel pre-applied TIM, it's because you do not have the pins seated properly. Pull it off, if the TIM melted, and it probably did, remove it and reapply.

75C Tcase is way too hot. Do not run it until you have fixed your mounting problem.

Use Core Temp or Real Temp to monitor temps.

Also, read the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide sticky.

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
oh ok .....i will remove and reapply immidiately...thanx for the tips.....

i will update any changes in the next few hours...:)

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
figured it out from the name...i will place an order by today ....right now i am having trouble removing the 2 tope corners of the STOCK fan from the motherboard.

Based on your instructions, i was able to rotate it Clockwise (opposite direction of the ARROWS)....but the top 2 ends are stuck....

Any TRICK to get it off without Having me Remove the entire board apart along with the cable connection which took me a while to figure out?

Any tips would be a great help....I don't want to apply brute force and break the top 2 corners...I can try tilting it a bit apply the Thermal paste just from lower 2 corners...Good idea???

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
yeah i figured that out once i read the full name :p...thanx for the response...i have already placed the order...should be here by monday morning ....

till then i plan on continuing to use the stock fan....the only issue is that the 2 top corners of the stock fan aren't coming out from the motherboard....I need to remove it inorder to apply the thermal paste...Any advice?

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
thanx for the info Zorg....but it doesn't explain anything regarding stuck sides of the board. ....or the only option is to dismantle the board from the tower and use pliers to push it out from the base of the MB

The pins have to be rotated the same direction as the arrows for removal. They are turned the opposite direction as the arrows for installation. That's why Zorg posted the instructions. Turn all the pins the same direction as the arrows and they should come out with no problems.

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
ohhhh.....lol.....Sorry about that Zorg....Thanx for the clarification ss_mt... :)...i will try applying pressure on that once i get back home....

Worst case i will dismantle the whole thing and set it up again properly.....will post after i work on it....thanx guys :)

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
hi guys,

I managed to get the stock fan off and apply the thermal paste.....now the pc is staying stable at 45 to 50 deg......NOW I HAVE A NEW ISSUE....

I am getting the blue memory dump screen when i try to boot the vista home premium....I don't think there is anything wrong with the hard drive...Well i had partitioned it into 200 and 270 gb earlier. I was able to boot into SAFE mode without any issues. The files stored in the other partition were accessible without any issue. Due to this i tried reinstalling Vista once again on the 1'st partition. Installed perfectly again. Just when it Booted up again. There it was "blue screen of death :( " ...kept saying memory dump etc....

I am back to my old pc to just inquire if there is anything i should do. I even tried removing all the cable and plugging them back again. Removed the Ram and reinstalled it again...same with GPU....Even reset the CMos with the button as well as popping out the battery...Anymore suggestions or do you think a part of the 1'st partition is corrupted??? PLEASE HELP

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Download Ultimate Boot CD and run memtest86+. You will need to burn the ISO to CD with ISO Recorder or other ISO burning software.

Run it through at least two full passes. Failures will be in RED, you won't be able to miss them. If you get failures, then run one stick at a time to find the bad stick. It's unlikely that you have a bad drive especially if you did a clean reinstall of Vista.

45-50C is still way too hot for idle Tcase, which is what you will see in BIOS. If those are indeed your temps, then I would avoid using the machine until you get the Xigmatek installed with the backplate.

Read the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide for more detailed information.

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Thanks for the tip Zorg.....i will download and run the memtest immidiately......Lets hope it's just one of the sticks....i am using nero for image iso burning....so it's a bootable cd right....will post the response once i am done testing tomorrow...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yes it's a bootable CD. If you have problems with Nero, install ISO Recorder, then right click on the UBCD iso and click copy to CD or something like that.

aldagr8

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
thanks for tip....I tried loading my win vista oem and it also had a memory tool check device....ran that for about 10 tests and no errors were reported....I will try it out with the software u recommended too later today....@ work right now....

I even got hold of another 500 gb hard drive to test if i can install the OS again and format the previous hard drive once again....IF the 1'st hard drive has bad sectors i am going to get NCIX to ship out a replacement immidiately.....

These are the next few steps i intend to take just in case the Memory stick test is perfect...I will keep you updated...Thanx for your time :)