Fan speed problems

Bohlio

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
First of all, I'd like to thank you all for being such a valuable resource, though this is my first time posting here, I've used this website countless times for help with other issues.

Alright, now the problem I'm having is with my fans on my Biostar P4M900-M4 motherboard. It has two fan headers, both with three pins. I've connected two coolermaster fans scavenged from an old computer to those headers. All fans are 3 pin fans. The problem I'm having is that they always run at full speed no matter what! The CPU temp according to the bios is about 20 celcius, but the CPU fan runs at approx 4,500RPM and the case fan runs at 2,000RPM constantly.

I've talked to biostar support, and I've been told that I should buy a 4 pin fans (to put on my 3 pin headers?) in order to regulate the speeds correctly. This makes no sense to me, as I cannot see why a PWM fan would be needed if the PWM control wire wouldn't even be connected.

If someone can shed some light on this problem, or case and CPU fan standards in general, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Bohlio

Bohlio

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried speedfan already... I configured it properly (I think) and automatically controlling the speeds didn't work, and manually changing them didn't either. Thanks though.

Bohlio

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hmm... Some of those DIY controllers looked pretty interesting, since I dont have any empty 3.5" or 5.25" bays empty, I might go with one of the cheaper ones if I can't solve the problem, thanks for that link. On the other hand, I'd like to figure out what is causing this problem though.

The motherboard says it has a "fan speed controller" so wouldn't it make since that it should be able to regulate the speed of the fan by changing the voltage supplied to it? All my other systems with 3pin fans have been able to adjust speed accordingly.

Thanks

Bohlio

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix the problem? Would buying a 4 pin fan to put on the 3 pin connector like biostar tech support said be worth trying? or just a waste?

Bohlio

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I already have two 3 pin fans, both coolermasters, that should be able to work with my motherboard, but they always run at max. All 3 pin fans have the same speed control features right?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009

Bohlio

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I'm afraid I can't really link to them... they were just plain black fans that came with an old computer. There's a coolermaster sticker on the fans, but no model numbers or anything like that.

I'm thinking that they should work just fine, and that the board might be messed up, but I thought I'd ask before I spend some money to follow biostar's wierd support advice.