Am I "understanding" Overclocking yet? =(

jthoov

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hey all

I've been reading plenty of guides that helpful people have pushed me towards and before I do anything too much; I wanted to tell you what I think overclocking is so far and how to do it.

And am looking for confirmation on whether I'm on the right track or way off.

Well my specs are in the signature below and I have a fairly good aftermarket CPU cooler in order to do some overclocking. (Scythe Mugen 2 rev.b).

With the ASUS P7P55D-E

- I enter the BIOS
- Set the Ai Tuner Clock to manual
- Adjust the BCLK only bit by bit. The default for mine is 133. So I can try 143, then 153, etc.
-I can also adjust the DRAM by going to the DRAM voltage (should I? and if I should, by how much? My ram is listed below)

Here is the part I don't understand, if I can overclock this way; assuming that I'm on the right track so far, why do I see people talking about raising the cpu voltage? Is this for when the BCLK can't reach a certain speed and in order to do so, you need to adjust the voltage?

If that's the case; how do all you people know how much to even raise it by?

Do I need to disable SpeedStep and TurboBoost???

I tried going to 3.3Ghz with TurboBoost off so it was running at 3.3Ghz, idle at 40. That seems a little high since I'm used to 32 at idle on stock.

Any feedback appreciated!

What chip are you clocking mate?

Make your adjustments as small as your bios allows, if the bclk steps are 5 at a time, do 5 at a time, no 'big' jumps.

when you ask your processor to run faster, its like a car, it needs more 'fuel' to do so, this is why we raise the voltage,but only if necessary, again, tiny increments

disable speedstep and turbo, keep a good eye on your temps
idling at 40 is ok, obviously your chips running faster so it creates more heat, this is why you bought a better cooler :p but you dont want it idling any higher imo, maybe put some thought into getting that cooler working better :p
Moto