Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive to Ssd challenge

Last response: in Storage
September 21, 2010 9:17:23 PM

O.K.,I have asked this question before and got some insight as how to do it but this is an area I am not familiar with and could ruin everything.I wanted to take my OS(win7 64 Ultimate)from my 2tb Seagate XT and get it somehow to my Ssd(Corsair 128 Gb).Currently my drive set up is Seagate XT is my C/drive and the Corsair Ssd is D/ drive. I am hoping that someone out there has done this before.I just want the os on the Ssd. I just have not tried to make the change yet but the Ssd has been sitting there ready for use. I am just gonna use the 2tb drive for everything else.Thank you who ever responds
a c 353 G Storage
September 21, 2010 10:23:03 PM

My take is that you would be better off doing a clean installation and reload programs. I KNOW that is a pain in the A double S to the 2nd order. How ever it would set the registry up properly and align the partitions correctly.

That said,
(1) I just moved my operating system+programs from an 80 gig SSD -> a 120 Gig SSD. I used win 7 BU utility (under control panel). I did an image of the system partition and the "C" drive to a 2nd HDD. Removed the 80 gig SSD, installed 120 Gig SSD. Used Win 7 installation disk and selected "repair, from image", about 5 mins later it said time to reboot, and walla booted to win 7 64 bit on new SSD. ??? This was going from an 80 gig -> 120 gig drive. if your current "C" drive is larger than the SSD, I'm not sure if it can shrink it.???

(2) Acronics True image home will work. I have used. There was another thread that someone else ended up using this. They have a free trial period I believe
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
There are also some free ones, But I have not used
m
l
a c 116 G Storage
September 21, 2010 10:25:10 PM

Not having done it, I would just proffer my standard advice. for now until someone who has "been there done that" chimes in. HD to HD is easy and SSD to SSD is easy (assuming same controller I would assume).

However, when Windows installs, it sees hardware and installs the appropriate drivers. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that Windows sees an SSD during the install process and sets it up properly for TRIM among other things. I could be wrong but I gotta wonder if that's gonna happen if you try and carve out the OS and move it over.

You might be able to force a kludge through Windows repair but my experience in doing this after peeps have swapped MoBos has not been encouraging
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
September 21, 2010 11:23:05 PM

Concur Jack,
I forgot about enabling trim, That one is fairly easy with a reg edit, and if his "old" HDD was set to AHCI, that would be setup - That partition alignment, if not set correctly is either difficult to near impossible. Reason my 1st choice is also for a Clean install.
m
l
September 21, 2010 11:50:53 PM

Question////how do I do a clean install??delete all the drivers and Win7 files??
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 22, 2010 1:10:00 AM

Best way is to disconnect your current HDD, connect your SSD. Put your Win 7 installation disk in and do an install. After that is completed then you can reconnect your old HDD and delete your old win 7 (might want to wait acouple of days to make sure installation is OK on new SSD.

How is your Old HDD set up, is is all one partition or do you have operating system + programs in say C: and all of your files and data in "D" (both C & D being on the same drive - Or is everything on one Big "C" drive.

Added:
You will be able to boot to the SSD, or the old HDD untill you are ready to get rid of the old Operating system. When you power on and during post just hit the key that brings up the boot menu (F12 on my system) and select which HD to boot from.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
September 22, 2010 1:31:26 AM

I was able to move my Windows 7 installation intact from an HDD to an SSD by using the built-in Windows 7 backup utility. I created a "System Image" backup of my HDD partition to an external drive and burned the "Recovery DVD". I then shut the system, removed the HDD / installed the SSD, booted from the Recovery DVD, and then restored the image to the SSD. The system was able to boot up from the SSD and it worked just fine. It helped that I had originally sized the HDD partition so that it would fit nicely on the SSD.

I did that with the Windows 7 Beta as a test, then when I got a copy of the release version I installed it from scratch onto the SSD.

A clean install to an SSD is not all that onerous - it goes very fast because of the speed of the drive. Just be sure that nothing else is connected when you do it or your boot partition might end up on a different drive.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 22, 2010 1:50:17 AM

My install from image to SSD (Created using Win 7 BU) took about 5 Mins. Started it went an did something, got back and it was asking for the reboot. Added, Not many know but Vista business and above also had the ability to do this.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 23, 2010 3:54:15 AM

I used acronis home to do this. The easiest way is to clean the boot partition until it is smaller than your SSD.

However, I have read that it is better to do a fresh install because... hmmm there was a good reason. Besides Win 7 will automatically start using TRIM, etc. As it will recognize your ssd during install. Set your BIOS to ACHI for the SSD before installing windows.
m
l
September 23, 2010 7:26:28 PM

RetiredChief said:
Best way is to disconnect your current HDD, connect your SSD. Put your Win 7 installation disk in and do an install. After that is completed then you can reconnect your old HDD and delete your old win 7 (might want to wait acouple of days to make sure installation is OK on new SSD.

How is your Old HDD set up, is is all one partition or do you have operating system + programs in say C: and all of your files and data in "D" (both C & D being on the same drive - Or is everything on one Big "C" drive.

Added:
You will be able to boot to the SSD, or the old HDD untill you are ready to get rid of the old Operating system. When you power on and during post just hit the key that brings up the boot menu (F12 on my system) and select which HD to boot from.

Everything is on the C/drive
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
September 23, 2010 8:42:59 PM

Clean Istall. Disconnect your current HDD. with Your SSD connected. Boot to your Win 7 installation disk and proceed to install win 7. NOTE: if this disk is an "UPGRADE" pakage, Do a CUSTOM install and DO NOT enter Your activation Key (You have up to 30 days to activate. Once installed allow win 7 updates, then install your programs. Once this is complete set bios boot priority to SSD. Shut down and reconnect your old HDD. Power up, should boot to SSD and you should see your onld HDD as "D" (May need to reassign DVD drive letters - using windows disk manager.

Once everythink is OK with SSD, the Best option is to Back up all your files/data, reformat old drive, then copy all your data back to "D" drive.

Using an Upgrade version for Clean Instal
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

To install using an upgrade install disk (Must Own a qualifing Operating system - Does not have to be installed).

Do a Clean Install, But DO NOT enter your Key
Goahead and let windows 7 down load critical updates. Then:

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr -rearm (Note - in link it shows a /rearm, should be a -rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

September 23, 2010 10:33:10 PM

RetiredChief said:
Clean Istall. Disconnect your current HDD. with Your SSD connected. Boot to your Win 7 installation disk and proceed to install win 7. NOTE: if this disk is an "UPGRADE" pakage, Do a CUSTOM install and DO NOT enter Your activation Key (You have up to 30 days to activate. Once installed allow win 7 updates, then install your programs. Once this is complete set bios boot priority to SSD. Shut down and reconnect your old HDD. Power up, should boot to SSD and you should see your onld HDD as "D" (May need to reassign DVD drive letters - using windows disk manager.

Once everythink is OK with SSD, the Best option is to Back up all your files/data, reformat old drive, then copy all your data back to "D" drive.

Using an Upgrade version for Clean Instal
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

To install using an upgrade install disk (Must Own a qualifing Operating system - Does not have to be installed).

Do a Clean Install, But DO NOT enter your Key
Goahead and let windows 7 down load critical updates. Then:

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)
I really appreciate the reply.Will try first thing after work in the A.M.
Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr -rearm (Note - in link it shows a /rearm, should be a -rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

m
l
September 24, 2010 4:18:55 PM

ok, going to try asap.Hope I do it right LOL.Oh, and thank you for the response and info.
m
l
September 24, 2010 8:03:08 PM

Just my thoughts, first do a backup on your HDD. Then unplug the HDD and do a clean install on the SSD. Plug the HDD back in and do a windows restore. Make sure you're on ACHI when you install Windows for TRIM support.
m
l
December 15, 2010 9:22:57 PM

Best answer selected by seanny.
m
l
!