Memory running slow and in single channel... FIXED (improper manual)

pneumagger

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
AMD Phenom II X3 720BE
ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo Motherboard
4GB (2 x 2GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333 6-6-6-20

So I just got done building my first computer... and everything seems to be going decent. I'm currently setting up programs and stuff.
One of the few problems I'm running across is that when I open AMD Overdrive, it lists the following performance below:
Capacity - 4096 MB
Frequency - 534.79 MHz
Type - DDR3 SDRAM
Channel - Single
CAS Latency: 8
RAS/CAS Delay: 8
Row Precharge: 8
RAS Active: 20
Row Cycle: 27
Command Rate: 1T

So it's running 8-8-8-20 on Single channel @ olny 534MHz... clearly underwhelming to say the least. Following my motherboard manual, I've tried installing on DIMMs A1/A2 and B1/B2 with no change. This memory is specifically listed in the motherboard manual as compatible and, while not purchased as a Dual Channel Kit, I purchased two identical sicks at the same time. Overdrive also confirms all attributes of each stick are identical.

What to do? :(

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Hey, nice system! Do the basic troubleshooting steps first... Reset your bios to default, check one stick at a time, different bays, etc. Try setting the ram options to 'auto' in the bios, just for verification purposes. Good luck, keep us posted!

well for the speed, you may have yo automatically set it in the bios

as for the dual channel, have you tried dimms A1/B1 (just to make sure the manual isn't printed wrong, i have seen this)

daship

Distinguished
Well you have triple channel memory and are trying to run it dual channel. Maybe the memory only like triple or single.

As for the speed its actually running 1604, you take the number you see and multiply x3 since its ddr3 ddr2 x2, ddr is what you see what you get.

pneumagger

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

Well, In the Bios everything was setup @ Auto... but it looks i can manipulate everything including clock (I believe 667Mhz is what's needed to for DDR3 1333), Voltage (dimms advertised at 1.86V), and ALOT of clock timings.

Would it be safe manually set the frequency and voltage in the bios and leave all other timings @ auto?
Am I risking my hardware and data at all... or will it just fail to boot?

I'm not sure how I'll set the dual channel manually. It should be dual channel capable memory because this same memory is both listed in the motherboard manual and sold as a dual channel kit on Newegg - however I bought individually for less than the pair was selling for. :D

I'd really like to solve this, because I really want to pick up 2 more sticks soon to total 8GB (64bit gaming rig).

pneumagger

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

I do believe it to be dual channel ram, because this very model # of ram is sold as a dual channel kit.

Dual Channel Kit: BL2KIT25664BA1336
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148227

Single DIMM: BL25664BA1336
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148226

ASUS Motherboard Manual:
DDR3-1333MHz capability:
Crucial - BL25664ABA1336.16SFB1 - 4096MB(Kit of 2) - Double Side - Heat Sink Package - 6-6-6-20 - (2 or 4 DIMMs dual channel)

pneumagger

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
SUCCESS! So I tried putting the memory into adjoining dimms instead of alternating dimms.
It worked. I now have dual channel DDR3 @ 667MHz.

It's only running 9-9-9-24, but I think it's only getting 1.5V if typical at stock voltage (while it is rated for 6-6-6-20 @ 1.86V).
Perhaps If I ever decide to overclock and learn how to do so, I'll speed up the memory timings too.

Also, for reference, the manual AND MOTHERBOARD are labelled as such:
(clearly it's saying to alternate slots for dual channel... which is incorrect.)

::=======-=================:: <-- DIMM_A2
::=======-=================:: <-- DIMM_B2

::=======-=================:: <-- DIMM_A1
::=======-=================:: <-- DIMM_B1

[ Channel ................... Sockets]
[Channel A .................. A1+A2 ]
[Channel B ................... B1+B2 ]

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Try using CPU-Z - it'll show whether it's Dual Channel and Ganged or Unganged - most say Unganged is best with 2 modules.

And take the time to set up the matching specs from SPD for latency to the M/B - that's not overclocking, just taking advantage of the nice specs on the RAM.