ASUS K8V-X Motherboard Locks Up On Splash Screen

emscharf

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
A system I purchased back in January of 2004 has an ASUS K8V-X motherboard that locks up on the ASUS splash screen, whenever I re-start the system. If I restart, again, and quickly press DEL, I can enter the BIOS, where I quickly EXIT WITHOUT SAVING CHANGES. I am, then, met with the American Megatrends BIOS screen, detailing all of my major internal components with their DMA modes and statuses. After waiting several minutes, that screen finally, mercifully releases into a launch of Windows XP Pro, and I am back at my desktop. To be clear, this process did not used to occur until a few weeks ago, when my power supply dropped dead. I replaced my 450W with a CoolerMaster 750W (just to be safe and secure). I also replaced my lone hard drive (repeatedly thrased do to power-failure-restarts) with two new drives (one for the OS and programs and the second for data). In the process of re-installing all of my software onto the new drives (the second of which is by itself on the secondary IDE controller), I learned that one of Windows' high priority updates overwrites the Marvell ethernet driver (from the ASUS motherboard CD), thus, causing a small variety of issues. So, I made sure to re-install the Marvell "Yukon" driver after all of the Windows updates I needed to install on the new hard drive. Nonetheless, I continue to see one or two new Windows security updates every time I have checked over the past 24 hours (since beginning the installation of the new hard drives), and, thus, out of paranoia, I remove the Marvell Yukon driver, and I re-install it. Regardless of that, I continue to hang on the ASUS splash screen every time I restart. I am desperate for the right solution, and I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Eric M. Scharf
http://www.emscharf.com

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I had some issues with my own PC a couple of weeks ago when I connected an IDE hard drive and CD-Rom on the same IDE channel. Try disconnecting the hard drive or CD-Rom from the IDE channel and see if that makes any difference.

emscharf

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I appreciate your quick response, cfvh600!

I actually just solved the problem about 20 minutes ago. I saw a report on another site mentioning how a person disconnected all USB devices from a similar system to mine, using the same motherboard. He restarted the system, and there was no hang on the splash screen. Upon getting into Windows, he, then, one-at-a-time, reconnected his USB devices and restarted (meaning: connected one device and restarted, and, if no hang, followed the process, again, and connected another device until the culprit was discovered).

I discovered that I needed a USB hub to connect one final device. And, the hub needed to be a powered hub, rather than the kind that would draw its power from a USB port on the computer system. So, now, everything is great with my system, and I can go into the weekend nearly stress-free.

Thanks, again, cfvh600.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Glad you got it sorted out.