CPU/Mobo comparison - opinions needed

Looking for some opinions on a couple of CPU/mobo combinations I am thinking about for my new system build. This is a first for me - although I am very familiar and comfortable with upgrading/repairing existing systems at home I've never built from scratch. The PC I am replacing is a 5 year old Dell 4600 P4 3.0GHz that I've upgraded over the years, but now it's time to go.

Uses - it's the "main" PC in the house for my wife and I (kids have their own PCs), so it gets a fair amount of mundane email and web surfing use. In addition, I do a lot of photo editing (Photoshop CS3) and video editing/rendering/ripping, etc. Due to the latter, I am leaning towards a quad-core setup, although I don't think I need an i7 quite yet... ;) No gaming requirements at all, although who knows for the future. I may overclock so I'd like the flexibility on the mobo.

The contenders (prices from Neweggg) - both are around $300 or so, but there may be good combo deals out there I haven't found yet:

Intel Q6600 w/ GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345

------ OR --------

AMD Phenom II X4 (which one?) - 810, 920 or 940BE? Price diff is about 50 from 810 to 940

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128381

Not wanting to start a flame war at all here, just looking for the best price/performance. Upgradability, etc. might suggest the AMD platform. I would expcect to use this setup for at least 2 years before doing any type of upgrade. Considering that, I am leaning towards the AMD side, but want to get some opinions and make sure the choices are sound. Will take any and all recommendations/opinions.

Thanks for looking.
3 answers Last reply
More about mobo comparison opinions needed
  1. I'd go with the 940 BE for best performance to price ratio, but if you want better upgradability then I would go with the Q6600, as there are quite a few Core 2 Quads that would be good upgrades for you. 940 is as high as the AMD's go, and I don't think AMD will be continue its backwards compatability for long with its new processors that are coming out.
  2. Well go wit the 940BE...
    And I feel that AMD is better for upgrading because the new processors and the upcoming processors are sure to fit the AM2+ socket bcos they have 938 pins and the AM2+ socket has 940 pins...so they would easily fit the AM2+ sockets...so wit a BIOS updates am sure u will be able to upgrade to newer Phenom procesors later...

And the 940 is a AM3 processor but it is supported by the AM2+ mobos...this will be the same case for most of the future AM3 processors...

But i doubt the same for intel because intel is planning to launch core i5 mainstream processors, which eventually will replace te 775 sockets...
  3. The 940 is only available for the AM2+ platform, it cannot run in an AM3 board. The 945 is due to come out soon that will run in the AM3 socket.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs Systems Product