Strange Noise When Scrolling - Help

lawe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I just installed a new mother board and there is a strange electric crackling/chirping sound coming from inside my computer. I've made sure it's not the video card, fans, psu, cpu, ram, or harddrive. It appears to be coming from the back panel (near the LAN, keyboard, mouse etc, connectors).

It occurs when I'm scrolling, or a program is starting, for some reason it's especially bad when I open or scroll a .pdf :??: I still occurs if I disconnect the mouse.

I have a M3N78-VM mobo with Geforce 8200 chipset, all drivers updated, even bios.

Thanks

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This is just a guess, but is it your sound system hooked up? Does it have an on-board speaker or anything like that? Scrolling a document in windows is purely a function of software. My only guess is that you have some sound that Windows is playing when it scrolls, and what you hear is somehow an output of your onboard sound (either a on-board speaker, speakers you have hooked-up, or maybe some issue with the audiojacks themselves).

Try muting sounds within Windows (click the mute checkbox on the volume control icon in the taskbar).

I thought I had a failing harddrive in a computer at work, until I realized Windows had a setting to perform a very soft click whenever I browsed somewhere, be it a link on the web or a folder on my computer (its a sound setting in IE of all places).

EDIT: On another note, do you have any audio cables running near your harddrives? I have a front-panel audio-connector, but the cables for that droop down near my harddrives, and pick up interference when my harddrives spin (when I'm accessing data or something). Moving the cables, or shielding them somehow would help, but again, this would only be the case if you had speakers setup.

lawe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I don't think I have an on-board speaker.

Muting doesn't help, neither does uninstalling and removing all sound drivers, or installing a sound card.

I don't have any audio cables near my hdd either.

I did however discover that it certainly has to do with the sound jack. When I pull out my speaker audio plug the sound stops for about 2 seconds then starts up. When I plug it back in the same thing happens. This happens only with the 6 audio ports (USB, keyboard etc. has no effect).

thanks